Chapter 48 - On The Road Again

Despite a little bit of grumbling and moaning, Louis, Harry and I managed to load up the car in short order.  I was glad to see that everything fit and a review of my mental check list confirmed everything was set.  The Canadian cottage experience has certain rituals and you've got to come prepared.  More importantly, I didn't want to have to make any special trips in to town for extra supplies.  Not only did I not want the time away from Louis, but I also didn't want him to get spotted out and about.  Celebrities have been known to enjoy some down time in Canadian cottage country, and you can never be too safe.

"I think that's the lot," I announced as I closed the trunk with a slam.  "Thanks for all your help, Harry.  Are you sure we can't drop you off?"

"No, it's fine, Evynn. I welcome navigating the tube."

"Don't flatter the TTC like that.  Our two subway lines hardly present a challenge compared to the systems in London that you are probably used to.  And somehow it's still never on time!"

"I welcome the experience all the same," replies Harry with a smile. He comes over and gives me a warm hug that seems to go on forever.  "Have fun, you crazy love birds." 

"Thanks, Haz.  Now bugger off," chimes in Louis while pushing Harry away from me.  Harry pretends to be offended, but instead the boys do an epic bro hug, complete with a back pat. 

"Hop in, Lou!  Let's see what this puppy can do!"

"Be gentle with her, Evynn," I hear Harry say.  Cheekily, I rev the engine a couple of times, and yell past Lou through the open window.

"What was that, Harry?  I can't hear you!"

Louis bursts into laughter and slowly puts up his window as Harry continues to make protestations from the other side.  I stop my revving and send Harry an insincere shrug and blow him a kiss.  Looking vexed, Harry needles the toes of his boots into the sidewalk.  I use my hand controls to put the window down a crack.

"Don't worry, I'll be good," I yell.  "Thanks Harry, you're a real doll."

"My pleasure, Evynn."

"Didn't I tell you to bugger off?" adds Louis.

"Love you too, Lou!" echos in Harry's deep voice as I pull away from the curb. 

Skillfully, I start navigating the streets in my neighbourhood, heading north towards highway 400.  Having driven up north many times over the years, mostly with Wes' family, the voyage was like second nature to me.  Wes'  family cottage was on a smaller lake, closer to a little town called MacTier.  Louis and I were headed to the more popular Lake Muskoka itself.  I could only hope that we would beat the traffic as we were likely going against the flow.  Most weekend cottagers would be heading home.

A beautiful, peaceful sensation tugs at my soul as I imagine the tranquility that awaits us at the cottage.  Although I have never been to Claire and Steve's place before, I've seen lots of amazing pictures.  And regardless of the outward trappings of the building, it's really the feeling of being out in nature that counts.  The haze that rises from the warm lake on a clear morning.  The tiny plopping noise that comes with fish breaking the surface of the water.  The hauntingly serene call of loons bobbing in the water.  My soul is craving it all, and I can't wait to share with Louis.

"You're awfully quiet, luv," says Louis as he runs his finger lightly over the bare skin of my thigh.  A new tugging sensation takes over from south of my belly button. 

"Mmm.  Just thinking about cottage life. It has been ages since I've been to the Muskokas."

"I'm looking forward to it," Louis replies, stifling a yawn.