Chapter 52 - Little Things

Louis

I wrap up my shower, and towel off.  Somehow my palms are a little clammy when I think about needing to DTR with Evynn.    Fuck, sometimes it's easier for to dive into a vagina than to talk about relationships.  Can't pull another Freddie, so probably better jump into that convo instead.

What if Evynn insn't really into me after all?  What about my life outside Toronto? I'm going to have to go back to the music scene eventually.  How will that work?

No chill, Tommo.

I take a deep breath, and remind myself that I can only take it one step at a time.  First, I need to know if Ev wants what we have to be a permanent thing.  The only way I can find out is to ask her.  So, I toss on my clothes, and resolve to get around to that conversation.  Tonight...eventually...

When I head downstairs, I hear Evynn humming in the kitchen.  The tune sounds vaguely familiar.  I linger out of site and finally place it: Blondie.  I wonder if she knows the lads and I did a cover of one of their tunes.  Probably not.  I'll have to tell her someday.  One way or another. Maybe with some of my sweet, sweet dance moves.  As if she reads my mind, Ev starts singing the opening lines of the song I know so well and I can't help myself.

"One way or another..." she sings, lightly.

"I'm gonna getcha, getcha, getcha..." I jump in, grabbing Evynn by the waist and gyrating my hips against her backside. She jumps in surprise, but then laughs when I toss in my best (lamest) dance moves.   I make a silly face, bugging out my eyeballs, and Evynn laughs even harder.

"You're a goof," she says between giggles. "So I'll forgive you for scaring the shit out of me. Hungry?"

Evynn gestures towards two plates covered in sandwiches, crisps and a sliced pickled.  I stare, agog at the sweetness of the gesture. 

"Um, I know it's not much," Evynn starts, "But I thought we could do something simple tonight, and maybe crash early.  I know you're tired.  And you don't have to eat it.  Fuck.  Do you not like deli meat? I should have asked..."

"It's perfect, luv."  My tummy rumbles in ascent as I kiss my girl on the nose. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Ev replies, a tinge of pink springing up near her temples. "Drink?"

"Why don't you sit and let me get you something.  Is the cooler still in the boot?"

"Um," Evynn shoots me a guilty look. Pink trails of flushed skin are now welling up on her neck.  "I managed to unpack stuff.  Drinks are in the fridge."

"Didn't want to share the burden?"

"No.  I mean, I thought it could just get it done, let you get on to the relaxing part of your vacation.  I don't mind organizing, I really don't, so it wasn't a big deal..."

"Have I ever told you how massively cute you are when you ramble?"

"Remind me again, 'cause I feel like a total dufus right now."

"An adorable dufus."

Evynn playfully sticks her tongue out at me, ignoring my teasing.  She settles herself down at the breakfast nook, and gestures for me to take the seat across from her.  I sit down and happily begin to tuck into my sammie.  Turkey, lettuce, tomato and a bit of honey mustard.  The bread is soft a melts in my mouth, and everything is so fresh that is tickles my taste buds.  Wow.  Homemade.  It's the next best thing to melt in my mouth after Fantastic Fanny.

"This is aces, luv."

"Glad you like it.  The bread is from the Dufferin Park Bakers.  They sell their stuff at the Dufferin Grove Farmer's market.  It's amazing.  They bake it on site in wood-burning stoves.  So good.  I discovered them one when I was taking a study break.  It's been my tradition to go every week.  The market is year round."