Chapter 8

Her phone had been buzzing none stop and each time she looked at it she felt her heart pound faster. She hadn't saved the number on her phone so no name popped up, she couldn't risk it but she knew who it was, there we no doubt about that.

"You can take your call if you have to, don't worry I'll pause the movie." Grace turned to her future mother in law who sat beside her. They had been watching movies all morning.

"Oh mummy don't worry, I can always call the person later besides the movie just got good. I'm glued to my sit. "

"Are you sure? Each time your phone rings you seem jumpy."

"Mummy it's nothing, it's just a friend and I know it's not for anything important."

"OK dear, if you say so. Ehn, how has the job search been going? "

"Hhhmm mummy I'm trying hard but I can't find anything. It seems this country doesn't need any more accountants." She gave a fake laugh because her mind wasn't on getting a job right now and it wasn't even in this conversation, it was on her phone that was still buzzing and on what trouble lay on the other end.

"Don't worry dear, you'll find something."

"I'm not worried mummy. Besides Raymond said if I can't find one by the time we get married he will get me a position at the firm.

"Oh that's nice! But nothing too stressful and time consuming, remember you're a woman and your primary assignment is to your home. Besides by then you should be busy making beautiful babies for me."

"Mummy mummy, don't worry. Just tell me how many you want and we will do just that."

"Well let's start with five."

"Ah mummy!" They both laughed but as much as Grace was here, her mind was still far from here.

"That's your job oh, children, children and more children!" Raymond's mother did a little dance on the couch and Grace knew she couldn't wait for them to get married and start giving her grandchildren as Raymond was her only child. Besides she craved the company. The work on her house was done but she still chose to stay with Raymond.

"Yes mummy, don't worry. I'll give you plenty grandchildren!"

"Chukwu nna moo!! " She continued her mini dance on the chair, this time more excitedly than the last.

"Mummy it's OK, let's finish our movie!"

"Please let me go and ease myself." She stood up from the couch slowly because of her waist pain. "Nwa m answer your phone. For that person to be calling like this it may be important.'

Grace picked her phone up and saw she had 25 missed calls all from the same number, all from him...

He had also left 6 messages and she quickly opened them.

The first read 'Grace answer your phone! We need to talk'

She swiped over to the second 'I heard the wedding was still on, that wasn't the plan!'

And the third 'Answer your goddamn phone! I know you're there'

The fourth message was just her name with about a million exclamation marks.

But it was the six message that caught her attention and made her heart stop .
"Grace please answer your phone. Your daughter misses you."

() () ()
By the time she got to her tiny self contain at Gwagalada it was a few minutes past ten. She didn't like the place, it was barely liveable and that was why she spent most of her days at Raymond's but that was all she could afford, at least for now.

She never locked her door because there was nothing to steal so when she got home she simply walked in and dumped her bag on the pile of clothes that were on the only chair in her single room. She had already started to strip off her clothes and leave them in her wake as she approached her tiny kitchen when a figure emerged from there.

Her mouth opened up to scream but she recognized who it was and stopped dead in her tracks.

"What are you doing here? How did you get here?"

"I have been calling you for days now but you have chosen to act like I don't exist anymore. I left you 6 messages today, I even sent you a picture of your baby girl on whatsapp but you didn't care to even open it. What is wrong with you? This wasn't the plan Grace! This wasn't our plan!"

"Keep your voice down Debo! I'm not the only one living in this compound!"

"I took a bus from Lagos this morning when I realized you weren't going to answer my calls."

"Where's Efe? "

"Oh so now you care about your daughter?"

"Where's Efe? " This time her voice was louder.

"Calm down! She's with my sister"

"Your sister that can barely take care of herself? You left my baby with her!"

"You left me no choice."

"I have been working on our plan which was your idea to begin with so I don't know why your here trying to piss me off. Go back to Lagos and let me do what I came here to do."

"Be careful how you talk to me! I am still your husband. You're mine! You're married to me and not rich boy over there."

"I know that." Grace took a few closer to him till they were barely inches apart. "I love you and very soon we will be together, just give me a little while."

"How much longer do you need? You should have been back home by now to me and our child!"

"I need a little more time. I have been able to get some money from him but it's not enough. I told him the venue we want has to be booked several months in advance because it's in high demand and he promised to transfer the money to me this weekend. Then he's also sending me money for my dress and a few other things which is already amounting to millions. As the day draws nearer I can get money by telling him it's for the photographer or caterer or something. He trusts me so he will give me the money and then I can come home to you." She wrapped her arms around his neck and placed a kiss on his cheek. "Everything is going to be fine."

"Why didn't you take my calls since and explain all this to me? This is February and the wedding is in June. I was worried you fell in love with him again and would be marrying him for real."

"That's not possible. It's just that if he had over head me talking to you then our plans would have been ruined. I came back to him for his money and nothing else. You have to believe that."

"I do baby, I do. I just got worried when I couldn't reach you and because I know the history you guys had and I knew how much he loved you and was devastated when you said no. He was my best friend remember?"

"And I chose you, remember that too? And I'll choose you again."

"I know. He still hasn't forgiven me for how I left and the money I took but unknown to him I stole the greatest treasure of all!"

"Me right? You're referring to me right?"

"Of cause baby!" And with that he kissed her, telling her without using words how much he missed her and she responded by pulling him closer to her till there was nothing between them.
It was only a matter of time now and they would be together again.