Chapter 20

"You've been quiet, are you OK?"

"Hhhmmm?"

"Kazia!" This time he gave her a little shake. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, don't mind me."

"See I can't do that now because I'm on a date with you. Catch my drift?"

"I'm sorry."

"Talk to me. What's wrong?"

They were at a park, in a secluded corner. Raymond had planned an amazing breakfast for them and he was so sweet to lay it all out with a comfy mat and pillow. This should have been perfect but her mind was still caught on what his mum said. She wasn't sure if Raymond felt the same way, she wasn't even sure if she believed it herself. They weren't there yet but she did occasionally, once a while imagine herself with him....in the future...possibly with a few baby bumps. Nevertheless, his mum's words still stuck on her. "I'm having a little tummy ache. That's all. I'll be fine." Her tummy did ache a little but it was the least of her concerns.

"You better be because this salad and grilled chicken won't eat itself."

"It smells lovely by the way, did your mum make it?" Kazia was sure she would have second thoughts about eating it if his mum cooked it.

"Give me some credit. I woke up early and prepared it all myself. I wanted to make today special for you."

"And I'm messing it all up."

"Of course not. Come here." He pulled her towards him, resting his back on the tree, he wrapped his arms around her. "I'll take care of you."

Kazia leaned into him, "Thank you."

"Does the kiss take the pain away?" He asked as he kissed her cheek.

"Maybe, let's try again."

"How about now?" He kissed a little closer to her lips. "And now?"

"A little closer..." Before she could even catch her breath, he lay her on the mat, straddling her. A chuckle escaped her lips as he brought his face close to hers. He took her hands and placed it above her head.

"How about now?"

"What stomach pain..."

And he sealed it with a kiss. "Better." Kazia did not know how long she was underneath him, how long they kissed or if any passers-by were giving them dirty looks. All she did was enjoy the moment with him, maybe that was the answer to her concerns. Enjoy every possible moment with him and hopefully it would all work itself out. She was always one to plan and over think things but if Raymond was teaching her anything it was to live in the moment, and that was what they were doing, if the falling leaves on them was any indication.

() () ()

"Mum?" Raymond had just gotten home from his date with Kazia which had left him smiling all the way but now he was home and smelling delicious cooking. He would have thought his mum would be resting so he was shocked to hear pots rattling and the sweetest aroma. "Mum?"

"Hi." A figure emerged from the kitchen. It was not his mum.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my kitchen?"

She smiled sweetly, sort of innocently. "Hi, my name is Chioma. Your mum called me to help. She said she wasn't feeling too fine."

"Who are you?"

"Mrs Antonia's daughter. We met once but several years ago."

"Where's my mum?"

"She's in her room."

He looked at her again, the last thing he expected was to see a stranger cooking in his house, acting like she belonged there. "Can I take that?" She said pointing to the bag in his hand which he had used on his date.

"Huh?"

"Can I help you with your bag?" This time she made her way towards him and took the bag from his hand. He couldn't miss how she intentionally brushed her hands on his. "Should I take it to your room?"

"Ehn......It goes in the kitchen. I need to go talk to my mum. Excuse me."

"Ok Raymond". She called his name so confidently. Like she knew him. It was a bit of innocence wrapped up in something totally not innocent. He exited the room as quickly as he could and made his way to his mum's room upstairs.

"Mum?" He walked into her room without knocking. Thankfully she was fully clothed sitting on her bed going through something on her IPad.

"What's wrong?"

"Who's she?"

"Who?"

"Who else mum?"

"Oh, you mean Chioma? She's Mrs Antonia's daughter."

"I don't need her bloodline, why is she in my house."

"I've been having waist pain and back aches so I need someone to take care of me."

"You should have told me. I have a lady that can come in and help."

"I don't just want anyone. I want Chioma, I know her and I trust her. Besides she just finished her NYSC so she isn't doing much. She was happy to help."

"I don't want another woman living in my house. How do you think Kazia would feel?"

"Like your mother needs help and she got someone to help. If she's a good person she will understand."

"This doesn't make sense."

"Please leave my room. My head is starting to hurt again, I need to lie down."

"We need to talk about this later." And he walked out of the room and straight into Chioma.

"Your food is ready.... Raymond." She drew his name and though he smelt the beautiful fried rice she had just cooked, he also smelt trouble.