Chapter 18

Kazia has never welcomed the weekend the way she did right now. She wasn't sure if her throbbing head was because she got home late or was trying to grasp the events of the previous night. She massaged her temple and was glad to not have her alarm blaring in her ears for once. Snuggling deeper into her duvet she craved for sleep to once more evade her but it only seemed to elude her more. After several failed attempts at trying to fall back asleep she flung her legs over and started her day. Reaching for her phone she saw 28 missed calls and it wasn't even 7am. 15 were from Raymond and the other 13 were from Chisom. That one surprised her.

There were several messages and she didn't even know which to start with so she flipped them all from her screen and called the one person she could that would probably help her gain her sanity.

"Hey Irene....hope I didn't wake you."

"Well, you did but I'm not complaining. What's up? Are you ok?"

"We need to talk."

() () ()

"Ok you should have told me this was going to be a movie, I would have brought pop-corn. So, his mum showed up, what next?"

"Like my night hadn't been eventful enough, his mum came. So, I was there with a half-naked Raymond cradling his former fiancé's child, a woman who was meant to be out of his life by the way and the woman was right there in his house. His mum too was now there giving me death stares. It was horrible Irene. At that point I was bent on leaving but he insisted he could explain and wanted to see me."

"Wow! This is even better than a movie."

Kazia eyed her best friend as she propped her on an elevated platform in her kitchen so she could make breakfast while they facetimed.

"Anyway, I agreed to wait, as uncomfortable as the whole thing was but his mum now turned around an ushered me out. I have never been so embraced in my life. She said this was a family moment and I was intruding. Raymond grabbed my hand and begged me to stay but I just couldn't. There wasn't much he could do, he had a child in his arms and it wasn't as though he could run after me with his mum there."

"So, what's going to happen now?"

"I don't know. Is it meant to be this hard? Why didn't I stick to my instincts and just not think about him?"

"Because if you could, you would have."

"But look at it. First, he was engaged then he wasn't and now the woman is back. I don't like complications, I don't need any complications. My life is already overwhelming as it is."

"I think you should hear what he has to say. From what you said Raymond is a good guy with a good heart and there must be an explanation. Granted last night was not a good time to give you the deets but I think you should hear him out."

Kazia abandoned the bread she had just put in the toaster and walked over to her phone so she could look her best friend in the eye. "You think so?"

"I do. Noting worthwhile isn't without its risk and you must take chances. You're a business woman, I shouldn't have to tell you. Talk to him."

"Speak of the devil." A text had just popped up on Kazia's screen from Raymond.

Could we please talk, I need to explain last night?

"I'll call you back Hun, let me speak to him."

"I need all the details ok? Don't miss anything!"

"Of course."

"Bye Hun."

"Bye."

() () ()

Raymond had told her he would come over later in the day. Kazia was dressed in one of her stay-at-home dresses, she didn't want to seem like she tried to look nice for him but she found herself checking her reflection to make sure she was ok.

It was exactly 5pm when she heard a knock on her door and her heart jumped a little. He was here.

"Hey." She opened the door and it was as though each time she saw him she was reminded how incredibly handsome he was. He was dressed in jeans and a loose white tee. He had a bag in his hand and his phone in the other.

"Hey." He responded with a smile. "Should I take this off?"

"Huh?"
"My shoes?"

"Oh yeah, please do and come in." She made her way to her couch and sat down cradling a pillow in her arms. He walked over to her and she pointed a chair opposite hers.

"I don't know where to begin Kazia."

"I know about Grace and what happened...that's why I was at your place yesterday."

"And you met her there, it must have been so confusing."

"You're a free man, you can do whatever you want. I shouldn't have come over unannounced anyway."

"No, I was happy to see you. It's just..." He rose from the chair and joined her on the couch. "Grace came over because she needed help. Her husband left with all the money she stole and she didn't know where else to go."

"So, she came to the man she stole it from?"

"She didn't just come back because she needed help. She said she's in love with me."

"Oh." Kazia shifted comfortably in her seat. "So, what's happening now?"

"Well, I'm here with a bottle of wine, my Netflix password and an apology." He moved closer towards her and took her right hands in his. "I chose you, I'll always choose you Kazia. I don't know if we would work or what the future is for us because you are incredibly stubborn and don't answer your calls but I want to try."

She didn't even know when tears began to roll down her cheeks and she quickly swiped them away from her face. "You always call when I'm busy so..."

"You better move things around because I'm here to stay."

"I'll think about it or I'll..." He didn't even let her finish her sentence before he pulled her straight into his arms till she was straddling him. She placed her arms around his neck and looked directly into his eyes and if it was even possible, she saw her future. "Is this really happening?"

"Best believe it." And he shut her up with a kiss. Pulling her closer to him as if it was even possible and with ever second, with every kiss he wiped away every doubt. She was happy, stupidly happy and she wasn't going to let anything mess this up.

"How about that wine?" She broke the kiss.

"You tease." He kissed her cheek and effortlessly lifted her form him and placed her on the couch. "I'll go get the glasses."

Kazia knew I she could see herself right now all she would see was a silly smile plastered on her face. She felt so vulnerable, she had never let anyone into her life like this and she was scared if anything happened it would break her. Shaking away every negative thought she focused on this evening with him, with Raymond. Finally, they were together, no boundaries, no obstacles. She was his and he was hers.

They had watched movies snuggled on the couch together late into the night and Kazia hadn't realized when she fell asleep. Rubbing her eyes, she looked around and saw Raymond too was fast asleep next to her. He had her in a tight grip against him. Kazia reached for the remote and turned the TV off so the living room was quiet. She could get used to this, that was her last thought before she drifted off once again.

Authors Note: Could this be the calm before the storm? I think so!

New chapter drops tomorrow. Thanks to all those reading this story. I'm so humbled.

XOXO

IfeomaN