Chapter 19

It had been 3 weeks. 3 pure weeks of bliss and with each passing day Kazia understood more and more the phrase 'walking on sunshine'. Raymond had taken her on countless dates, each much better than the last. They had spent the weekend with his friends watching football matches, well she wasn't sure if Raymond got a minute of it because she hounded him constantly on who was wearing red or blue or black jersey. Most times he would shut her up with a kiss which she did not mind at all. Yeah, it was 3 weeks of pure bliss.

Today he was taking her on a private art gallery tour, after which they would go have breakfast together. He wanted to come pick her up but Kazia decided it would be easier to meet him in his house then they would leave together. Dressed in a simple stripped white and blue knee length gown and her hair in a brand-new weave she drove over to his place. Just as she approached his gate a call came through from him.

"Hey handsome. I just got to your house."

"I stepped out to get my mum some meds. She woke up with a splitting headache but I'll be back in a jiffy. Just go in and I'll be right back."

"No problem, bye."

"Bye, see you soon."

The last time she had been here was when there was a collision of Grace, his mum and her. She only hoped this time around would not be as 'exciting'. Kazia did her best not to make any noise as she stepped in so she wouldn't disturb his mum. She wasn't sure if she was concerned about the woman's headache or she just didn't want to see her. She still remembered the glares that night, very frightful to say the least.

As if the universe was laughing at her plans, just as she closed the door behind her, his mum appeared from the staircase.

"Who are you?"

"Hi...good morning Ma. It's me, Kazia.....Your son's.....Raymond's girlfriend."

His mum gave her a once over and turned away in disgust towards the kitchen then reappeared in a few seconds, a glass of water in her hand. Kazia was now on the sofa going through her phone.

"I know who you are."

"Ma?"

"He speaks of you, even while he was with Grace. He would always speak of you with.....enthusiasm. I don't see why."

"I had nothing to do with what happened with Grace Ma."

"I know." She walked towards her and placed the glass cup on the center table. She was clearly a woman of authority, even her presence was commanding and filled the room. "I also know my son, he doesn't need a woman like you. Grace...asides from her obvious defects was the kind of woman he needed."

"And what kind of woman is that?" Kazia stood from where she was sitting so she was looking Raymond's mum in the eye. She scoffed at Kazia and took a few steps back till she was resting against the wall.

"I know you modern women." She said it with air quotes. "Feminists and fighting for your rights. I get that and it's not a bad thing. In fact I was one of those who championed it back in the day. A woman's place is not in the kitchen but it is her primary assignment. It is her job to take care of her man and any woman who will end up with my son must be able to do just that."

"And who says I can't."

"Because you cannot marry a man when you are married to your business."

"Excuse me?"

"How do you expect to manage a home and company at the same time. My point Kazia is that you younger women want to have it all but you can't. I'm sorry to say. I need a woman who will take care of my son and you are not it. When I got married to my late husband I had a really good job but then I got pregnant at the same time got a promotion. A baby on the way meant more of my time and attention would be required, the same for the promotion. So, I had to choose and I chose my family because I had my priorities straight. I don't think you would make the same choice if it was you, I need a woman who would choose my son no matter what."

"Wow! I have a lot of respect for you Ma because of the kind of son you raised and the stories I have heard about you but I must disagree with you on this. Your son and I just started dating and we are nowhere close to talking about marriage and if we do get married I believe I can take care of him and my company."

"I won't even let you try. Just leave him alone ok? Or you choose but mark my words I won't let my son be an experiment in your attempt to see if you can have it all."

"Raymond is not an experiment, I care about him. He means a lot to me."

"I do not care. All I want is a woman who will take care of my son Kazia. I'm not saying you're a bad person but I don't see you balancing a husband, kids and a company, do you?"

And for once in this entire exchange Kazia was left speechless because she honestly did not have an answer to her question and that was when Raymond walked in.

"My two favourite girls." He walked over to his mum and gave her a kiss on the cheeks. "I got your drugs mum. I have to head out with Kazia now but I'll see you later ok? Call me if you need anything."

"You have fun and stay safe."

Kazia was still looking at his mum, whose eyes never left hers even while talking to her son.

"Alright baby, let's be on our way. Sorry for keeping you waiting." Raymond was now by her side. She walked beside him quietly till they got to the car. "Are you ok? You seem 'not here'?"

Kazia didn't respond but looked back at the house, his mum's question still on her mind. If the past 3 weeks was the calm before the storm, then Raymond's mum was about to blow her whole roof down.

This was a short one, I apologize.

Thanks once again for reading! New chapter on Monday.

Have a great weekened.

XOXO

IfeomaN