Chapter 11

Seven Years Ago

Taking a look at the velvet box in his hand, Raymond knew it contained the key to the rest of his life, today he was going to propose to the woman of his dreams, today was going to be the first day of the rest of his life. He waited anxiously in front of Grace's house, occasionally wiping his hands on his jeans to keep from soiling the box with his nervous, sweaty palms. He caught a glimpse of his skinny reflection from his car packed right beside him. It had been a few weeks since graduation and he still hadn't put on a few more pounds as he had hoped, he had lost it while he buried himself in his books but now he was hoping to look a little better.

That was the least of his concerns, all he cared about was hearing that 'yes' from Grace, making her his before he left for law school in a few days and here she was, coming out of her family house looking so innocent and beautiful. His heart was filled with so much joy as he looked at her.

"Hey!" That was all he could mutter as she opened the gate and stood before him in all her beauty.

"Hey!" She seemed distracted and not happy at all to see him.

"I want to ask you something." And then he went on his knees and brought the box to her view. "I know this is not the most ideal of settings and not romantic at all but I just couldn't wait another second to ask you to be my wife. I love you Grace, you're the most important person to me and I promise to make you happy every day of my life and give you everything you'll ever need. So what do you say?"

She looked at him wide eyed and speechless and all he could hope was that it was a good reaction but with one word she shattered everything. "No."

"No?"

"I can't do this Raymond. I don't love you anymore. Tomorrow I will be moving to Lagos. I'm so sorry for this but were over." And she disappeared back into the house, leaving him cradling the engagement ring in his hand with his now shattered heart. He didn't know if he should run in and ask to give him an explanation, he didn't know if that would make it easier. For a while he knelt on that rocky road, under the hot sun looking from the ring to the gate she had recently passed through, his mind trying to make sense of it but just not knowing how to.

Just as he was about to stand up, his phone range. "It was his dad."

"Dad?"

"Come to my office now...it's your friend Debo. I can't find him and money is missing!"

Raymond didn't wait to hear what else his dad had to say, he couldn't take any more bad news. With the rage welling up in him, he flung the box that he had hoped held his future across the street. This didn't feel like the beginning of the rest of his life, it felt like the end of it and that very thought broke him.

() () ()

If she had to wait anymore in this old, musty office Kazia knew she was going to blow a fuse. Her white office shirt was drenched in sweat and clung uncomfortably to her skin and she could feel another pool of sweat gathering underneath her as the leather chair she sat on gave no breathing room. She glanced around the room, all the windows were shut and the only source of air was a tiny standing fan in the corner of the overcrowded office that looked like it was one electrical fluctuation away from dying.

She was just about to stand up and walk out when he walked in.

Her Uncle Kingsley.

He was a bald, potbellied man who cared for no one but himself. She wouldn't be here if she wasn't desperate. She wanted to start off her own furniture store and although she had some money from her mother she still needed clients. He was her father's elder and only brother so when she found out he lived in Abuja too she approached him hoping he could help and he wasn't the same selfish man she grew up knowing. Thankfully he had offered her the contract to redo all the bar stools in his night club and that was what led her here, in his smelly old office to collect the rest of her payment.

"Kazia, sorry to keep you waiting." He said as he walked in stinking of cheap liquor and Kazia felt like throwing up. He went over to his old leather chair and sat down, the poor chair squeaking under the pressure of his weight.

"No problem sir, I'm here for the rest of my payment."

He gave her a once over and smile at her. Kazia felt uncomfortable under his gaze. All she wanted was to get the remaining money he owed her and leave this dump.

"Why are you in so much of a hurry? We are family aren't we? Sit, let's get to know each other."

"Maybe some other time Uncle Kingsley."

"Just call me Kingsley, you're not a child anymore." He rose from his chair and walked towards her, his big statue covering up whatever space was left in his tiny office. "You're certainly not a child anymore, you're a woman now Kazia." He looked her over again, smiling sheepishly. "A beautiful woman."

He placed his hand on her cheeks but Kazia quickly slapped it away. "I just want my money and I'll be on my way."

"If you corporate with me then you'll get it and little more." He grabbed both her hands forcibly, causing the file she had been holding to empty unto the ground. He slapped her against his body and held her close. "Just be a good girl my beautiful Kazia."

"Stop! Let me go!" She tried to escape but his grip was tight around her and she couldn't break free. The stench of alcohol emanating from his body was suffocating and she couldn't take it any longer so summoning whatever force she could she raised her foot and slammed it down on his. The pain caused him you let go of her and step back. She used that opportunity to gather up her documents now scattered on the floor and before he could recover she bolted out of the office. She made her way across the crowded club, feeling disgusted and angry. All she could think of doing was getting out of there and never looking back.

The moment she stepped out of the club she welcomed the cool, fresh breeze that was void of alcohol and cigarettes. It wasn't long before she found her way to the main road waiting for a cab to take her home. As she stamped her foot impatiently on the sidewalk pavement, a man stumbled past her. He was clearly drunk and disoriented. He was a skinny guy but from what little she could see of his face in the dark, he was still good looking but incredibly sad. He had obviously come here to drown his sorrows but they seemed far from drowned.

He jiggled his car keys in his hand as he walked over to a car packed by the road which Kazia guessed was his. Knowing he was heavily drunk she knew letting him drive would be a death sentence. She made a judgement call in that moment and walked over to him.

"Hey sir, you shouldn't be driving."

He looked at her and scuffed still continuing his staggered journey to his car. On reaching his car, she helped him in and found his phone. She went to his call log and called the last contact there which was his dad. She explained everything to him and the state his son was in, his father was so grateful and thanked her. When she ended the call she turned to talk to him but right there in the driver's seat he had fallen fast asleep, fast asleep from the sound of his snoring.

Kazia gently lifted his left leg which was hanging out of the car door into the car and carefully adjusted his head so he won't wake up with a cramp in his neck. She placed his phone and keys quietly in his hand and then shut the doors. She could only imagine what made him drink himself to this state, she could only imagine his story but then the reality of her own life dawned once more on her and she sighed. Not long after her encounter with the drunk stranger she found a cab home and no sooner had she met him, did she forget him.

It wasn't as though their paths would cross again.