Chapter 17

After an unavoidable night out with his guys, Raymond bid them goodnight and made his way home. They were doing their best to cheer him up after the unfortunate incident with Grace but as much as they tried to get his mind off Grace it was stuck on another woman.

Alone in his house, it had never felt so empty. His phone beeped and a message came from his mum

"How are you? How are you doing today?"

He flung the phone aside and collapsed on the nearest chair in his living room. Somehow his head was trying to understand what was going on but he couldn't. He had loved Grace for years, for as long as he could remember but Kazia had come and stolen his heart. Now Grace had betrayed his trust, it seemed to him to be a reward for harbouring feelings for another woman. It just didn't make sense and he wanted to just disappear.

After what seemed like a lifetime of sitting and gazing at the blank celling, he picked up his phone and went into his room. He took a very hot, long shower which did nothing to abet his throbbing heart. Tossing a towel around his waist he sat on his bed and tapped the power button on his phone to bring his screen to life. Raymond logged on to Instagram and went to Kazia's page. He had stalked her several times over and noticed she had posted a new picture that morning. It was a group photo and the only two people he recognized were Kazia and the man she had introduced him to just the day before. He looked down at the caption.

Ace furniture honoured at the Businesses of Africa Awards. I want to thank my amazing team and everyone who supported me thus far

She had tagged her new man friend so he went to his page. For a man who had only known her for a few days he already had about 8 pictures posted of her, mostly were of her caught unawares. That made him cringe. Trying his best not to double tap, he scrolled by and read through Chisom's attempt at romantic captions. Rolling his eyes at most he kept going till he saw one she commented on. He had seen enough. Broken hearted, alone and......hungry, he kept his phone aside once more. Still in his towel he made his way downstairs to find something to eat. The sudden knock on his door stopped him before he could turn into the kitchen. A glance at his wall clock told him it was way too late for anyone to be visiting and unless his gate man wanted to die tonight he wouldn't have left just anyone in. His mind was trying to guess and figure out who it could possibly be tonight as he walked slowly to the door. The knocks became persistent and frequent and as he turned the knob to open it, he saw the very last person he expected to see.

"Grace?"

() () ()

Kazia was counting each minute as Chisom spoke and took every bite of his food ever so slowly. He had prepared a romantic dinner in his uncompleted pharmacy, telling her he wanted to share this beginning and many other beginnings with her but her mind was far from the present. She barely heard a word he said and tried to give an occasional smile and 'uhm' to him. In her mind she constantly researched what she would say to Raymond when she saw him. Her heart was beating a little faster in anticipation.

"Are you ok? You seem a little distracted."

"Yeah, I'm great."

"I know all this might seem much but I just wanted to show you how much you have come to mean to me. It might be just a few days but to me it seems like I've known you forever. You fit into my life so well. I hope you feel the same way."

Kazia took a huge gulp, she didn't.

"I understand, I don't want to rush things."

"Chisom.... I...."

"Let's not talk about it...let's just enjoy this meal and each other's company."

"I have to go."

"Why? Did I say anything?'

"I'm so sorry. You've been so great and it seems illogical to not fall for you but my heart is not here. There was someone else...there is someone else and I wanted to run away from him but I can't. I know you don't want to hear this after this really romantic dinner you have set up but I don't want to hurt you."

"Good job with that."

"I'm so sorry..."

Just as she was about to say something else he rose from his seat and all but flung his chair back. He paced round for a bit and turned back to her. "What did I do wrong? What couldn't I give you?"

"I don't need you to give me anything and it's not you. I can't stop myself from feeling the way I do."

"Leave!"

"Chisom...I'm sorry..."

"Leave! Now!" And that's what she did. Somehow it was hard to bask in her happiness when she had taken one from someone else. With teary eyes and shaky hands, she drove as fast as she could to Raymond's house. She wanted to see him, to hold him and be sure she made the right choice, to make sure she hasn't just let go of something that could be good for something she wasn't certain of.

Her car came to a slow screech as she approached his gate. The gate was slightly ajar and Raymond's gateman was fast asleep, his head hung carefree on the side. She tiptoed in, not to disturb him. Her heart was in her mouth and her hands still shook. As she got to his door she took a deep breath and knocked. He may have gone to bed, she couldn't tell. On her way here, she had called but he hadn't picked up his call. This was a risk. A huge one but she wanted to take it. She was a risk taker anyway and this seemed like it would have great rewards, at least she thought so till she opened the door to a very bare-chested Raymond...with a little girl snuggled in his arms.

"Kazia!"

"Raymond..." and she saw who stood right behind him. "Grace?"

There was a sudden silence that settled over them. She could see the confusion in Raymond's eyes as she looked from her to the girl in his arms to Grace then back at her. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Clearly...I'm sorry for barging."

"No! Please stay. This is a very unusual situation but I'll explain everything. Please stay."

The tension is Kazia's arms washed away as she saw the genuine want in his eyes.

"Ok" she said about to enter the house when Raymond's eyes widened at something behind her. Curious to know Kazia turned around and there was an elderly woman there with an oversized bag on her shoulder.

"Mum?"

"I haven't been able to reach you all day and I sent you a text this morning but you didn't answer. I had to come. I was concerned."

"I saw your text this night.... I didn't know you were coming."

The tension was back in her neck and on her shoulders, she didn't know what she signed up for but clearly it was for a very eventful night. If three was a crowd then this was a mob.

Authors Note: New chapter dropping tomorrow. Apologies for the late updates and possible typos. Life keeps getting in the way.

I'll love to hear what you think of the story so far!

Thanks!

XOXO

IfeomaN