Chapter14

The smell of freshly baked bread filled her nostrils as she slowly woke from her tired sleep.

She was home.

Slipping her feet into her comfy pair of sponge-bob slippers she made her way down to the kitchen. Her mum was bent over the oven bringing out the first batch of bread. Kazia couldn't help the smile that spread across her face. She had missed her mums bread, it was always so soft and moist. She also missed waking up and coming home to a freshly cooked meal, she enjoyed cooking just like her mum but hardly ever had the time. Just remembering how her mum had stuffed her with so much food the night before made her feel like she ate for the whole nation. Her stomach still protruded a bit from the buffet but it still rumpled welcoming this freshly baked bread in.

"Good morning mum." She said placing a light kiss on her mum's cheek "Mummy did you sleep at all?"

"It's all for my angel."

"Mummy please its ok. I came home to see you and spend time with you. We can eat out if we want I won't mind."

"God forbid! Don't you know your mother again? Please its ok. Go and sit down I'll bring your bread and egg soon."

Kazia gave her mum a warm smile and made her way to the living rom. Her mums house didn't have a dining area. It was small and quaint. No matter how many times she convinced her mum to get a bigger place she always turned down the offer. She loved her simple life. Kazia sat down idle on the living room couch feeling odd to be so unoccupied and having nothing to do or follow up with. Just as she was about to get her iPad from her room her mum came in with a tray that contained the bread she had just finished baking and she could still see the steam emitting from it, deliciously smelling egg sauce and a cup of tea in her favourite mug from when she was little. Kazia pulled out a stool and placed in front of her as her mum put down the tray. "Mummy where's yours?"

"Don't worry about me. I'm ok. I'll eat something later."

"Nope, we will share this."

"Just eat Kazia. See how lean you look, see your waist, so tiny. How will you carry babies?"

Kazia could not help the eruption of laughter that escaped her lips. "Mummy mummy! Don't worry, I'll fatten up while I'm here."

"Now you're talking." Silence fall over them as Kazia gulped down the devious food. "So how are your brothers?"

"They are fine. I have not heard from them in a while."

"I'm sorry about them. Hope they are not putting a lot of strain on you financially?"

"Its fine mum, as long as they stay out of trouble."

"God will bless you Kazia"

"How are things here with you mum?"

"Its fine o. You know my life, nothing overly exciting. Mainly church work but it's all fine."

There was silence again as Kazia finished the last of her breakfast and sighed it satisfaction "Mummy this was amazing! I need to carry some of this bread with me. It was delicious."

"I'm happy you're happy."

Kazia cleared her plates, washed them out and joined her mum back in the kitchen. Her mum had her head back and her face was squeezed a little as though she was in discomfort.

"Mummy are you ok?"

"Yes, baby I'm good. It's just this waist pain."

"Are you on any medication?"