Chapter 21

"Why are you even at home cooking? What happened to work?"

"I called you to help me with this coconut rice not to interrogate me? Now help! I love your coconut rice so help me out, I need this to be perfect."

"What's going on? I smell something fishy."

"Irene! Come on! I need to do this right."

"You are hardly ever unsure about anything? Chill, is Raymond there?"

"No! But yes, it's for him. This week has been hectic for him and me too. We have barely spoken and I know he hasn't been eating and sleeping well. I was hoping to cook this and take it to his office."

"You guys are so cute, gosh! Ok I'll help. Who am I to interfere with love?"

"Who said anything about love? Recipe! Now!"

"Ok, I've heard. Let's MasterChef your way into his heart."

() () ()

Things had been crazy the past week. Raymond stared at the blank paper as he tried to come up with a closing argument for a case he hadn't even been working. One of his lawyers was in an accident so he had to take over from him. Everything seemed to be falling apart, he was working longer hours and getting just the barest minimum of sleep to keep his brain moving. It was beginning to take a toll on his relationship with Kazia. At most they would facetime for about 5 minutes before one thing or the other would call his attention. Even she had a lot on her plate at the office. In a week she had travelled 3 different times and was probably getting as much sleep as him.

He swore under his breath as he rolled the paper into a ball and tossed it on the floor that once he was done with this he would take her far away just the two of them so they could just be alone and take a break. His phone began to vibrate under the pile of paper on this table, he reached for it and couldn't help the smile that spread across his face as he saw Kazia's name. Just as he was about to answer it his PA ran into his office with a face full of dread.

"What now?"

"Opposing counsel.... they are downstairs."

"What?"

"Should I send James...."

"No.... I'll handle it." He looked at his phone once more and placed it back on the table. He really couldn't wait for this nightmare to come to an end.

() () ()

It was just a few minutes to midnight when Raymond rolled into his driveway. He took a second in his car, closed his eyes and let the exhaustion overwhelm him. Today he had almost lost his client millions but somehow, he had salvaged the situation in the end. The rumbling of his stomach reminded him he hadn't eaten the whole day and he was starving. His phone vibrated as a text came in from his mum. Apparently, she wasn't home and went to see her friend's daughter who just gave birth, he really couldn't care less except looking at his phone reminded him that he hadn't called Kazia back.

"Shit!' He scrambled through till he found her number and dialled a couple of times. She didn't answer. "Shit! Shit! Shit!" He slammed his hand on the steering as he tried calling one more time hoping she wasn't somewhere pissed at him.

Still no answer.

He got out of the car and went inside, maybe she had gone to bed he hoped and she wasn't somewhere putting pins on a doll that looked just like him. She wouldn't.... he felt a pain on his right foot as he stepped inside.... or would she?

"Good evening Raymond."

"Chioma! You're still...here. Great." It was less than great. "My mums fine and she doesn't need any help anymore. Besides my housekeeper is around so...."

"Its fine...I get it. I hate to intrude." She walked slowly towards him, talking his briefcase from his hand. "I already spoke to your mum, I'll be leaving tomorrow. I know when I'm not needed." This time she was mere inches away from him and had a pitiful look on her face that he instantly felt bad for her.

"I'm sorry, I know I've been a bad host. It's just work and stress." He said as he moved away from her and took a seat so he was still facing her. "I do hope you come around some other time."

"It's ok. You don't have to apologize or try you make me feel better. I get it. You know my dad was a lawyer. He wanted me to study law too but then he died in my first year of university. I had to drop out till my mum could figure out our finances.... not to give you my sad life story but I get how it can get busy and hectic." Once more she moved uncomfortably close to him and sat beside him. "I just want you to know that I'm only trying to help, make it less.... stressful." She placed her hand on his thigh then quickly removed it, smiling shyly.

"I understand and thank you, really."

"I'll go get you something to eat."

"Thank you."

Just as she left the room his phone vibrated again, it was Kazia.

"Hey, I'm so sorry I missed your call and didn't call back. Hope you're not upset?"

"It's ok, I understand. I'm not upset. How are you?"

"I just thought...because you didn't answer and all."

"I was washing off some pots and.... plates. I got home late."

"Are you sure you're ok? I promise to make everything up to you."

"You don't have to promise..."

"Raymond your food is set on the dining table."

"Ehm.... who's that?" Raymond felt a chill run through his body. "Doesn't sound like your mum?"

"Its...Chioma. She's here helping my mum."

"By cooking for you? Where's your mum by the way?"

"I know it would sound like something more is going on but it's really not."

"Where's your mum?"

"She's with her friend."

"Wow...she actually did it..."

"Did what? What are you talking about? Trust me nothing is going on Kazia."

"Raymond! It's going to get cold!"

"Will you just shut up Chioma!"

"Kazia...are you there?"

He heard mumblings but nothing audible.

"Kazia...baby...please talk to me, please trust me. There's nothing going on here. It's just one of those situations that look like more than it is."

"I trust you Raymond...it's not that...but your mum was right and she is trying to show you that this is what you need."

"Right? How? Talk to me baby. I don't get it. Please, you're not making sense. What did my mum say?"

"You need a woman that can have a hot meal ready for you when you come home tired and exhausted, who can take care of you. You mum was right.... this is what she wants for you...this is what you need. I'm sorry I have to go."

"Go where? Kazia! I don't care what my mum said and I don't know what's going through you mind but..."

"I'm sorry Raymond."

"Baby...I need you." And the line went dead.