Chapter 15

Just as she had come, she had to leave. She sat in the private lounge at the airport as she said good bye once more to her mum over the phone. The next person she called was her assistant to arrange for a cab to pick her up as soon as her flight landed.

"One freshly made banana and orange smoothie for you."

"Thank you!" Kazia said as she retrieved the cold glass from his hand. "Does this count as a second date?" She said giving Chisom her most cheeky smile.

"Not at all. This could be a pre-date. I have arranged for a dinner at an exclusive restaurant in Abuja. All you have to do is go home, put on something super cute and I'll come pick you up."

"A lot of plans won't you say."

"I thought our first date went pretty well, I figured I should follow up with an even better second one."

"Very ambitious of you." Kazia just smiled and sipped her smoothie. Chisom seemed to be really taken by her and she wished she could return his level of affection but she couldn't. After their date a few days ago, he called her every day and night, he had even stopped by the house once to greet her mum. And now just the day before he had shifted his flight so that they were on the same flight back to Abuja, he didn't even mind the extra cost. As they walked through the airport together they generated stares, he seemed to know a lot of people and they seemed very curious as to the lady on his arm. Kazia wasn't one for attention and went to find a sit far from prying eyes.

"Do you need me to arrange a cab for you as soon as we land?"

"I got it covered, thanks"

"Are you comfortable? Need anything else?"

"I'm very good." Just then they announced their flight and Kazia was happy for the welcomed distraction. With a wave of his hand, Chisom had someone rushing to help with her bags and after several failed attempts to let him know she was just fine she let the young man carry it. She wasn't sure how she felt about it, about him and his 'attentiveness'.

It was a just a few days she told herself. She was going to give it sometime and no start over thinking it. He clearly wanted to help her and take care of her, she would let him, no matter how uncomfortable it made her.

Just as she was about to switch off her phone to board, a text came through.

"Have a safe flight home."

It was from Raymond and with those five words she was back to square one, back to where she started before she left.

() () ()

Kazia was exhausted before her first day back in the office. Her date with Chisom had run late. He didn't seem to want to let her go and had paid extra to keep the restaurant doors open for one more hour but eventually they had parted ways and said their good byes.

She made a cup of green tea and sat at her desk, taking a minute to herself before David came and gave her updates on what had been going on.

"Ma?"

Kazia shot her eyes at Mary-Jane who stood at the door clearly unsure if she was disrupting. "You have a message from Mr. Raymond."

"Were you the one that told him I was coming back yesterday?"

"Well...he called and asked."

"My private matter is my private matter Mary-Jane. Do not do this again."

"Yes Ma."

"Tell him I'm busy I'll check in later. In the meantime, call in David so we can get started."

And she was gone. Left alone with the warm cup of tea against her lips, a reminder of the mistake she had made a few days ago. The very reason she couldn't see or talk to Raymond.

() () ()

"I guess we're back to you not answering my calls and let's not use that 'I'm busy excuse' I know better."

Kazia knew the voice and hearing him behind her made the hairs on the back of her neck stand. "Hello Raymond." She turned and faced him. There wasn't a smile on his face and his features hung low. Even with the poorly lit parking lot she could see that he was not alright. He looked as devastatingly handsome as always but something was wrong and she felt like wrapping her arms around him.

"I've been trying to reach you, we need to talk."

"I just got back as you know. I've been settling you. I'll call you as soon as I can."

"Can't we talk now?"

"I'm waiting for someone."

"I just need 5 mins of your time."

Kazia looked around then back at him. "I'm listening."

He took a deep breath and walked closer to her till he was so close she could taste his breath. She got a closer look at his face. His eyes looked dim and low. "Are you ok?"

"I called off my wedding." He took her hand in his. "I don't know what this means for us but I want to try. I've been waiting for you to come back so I could tell you face to face. I want to be with you and now we have nothing standing in our way."

Kazia could not help the glee that filled her heart but it was quickly replaced by a multitude of questions.

"What happened? Are you ok? Did you end it because of me?"

"I found out some things about Grace..."

"So, it wasn't because of us?" Kazia took her hand back. "So, if nothing happened, you wouldn't be here? I'm just the next in line because the one you want didn't work out?"

"No...."

"I never asked you to leave her for me, not once did I ask that of you. I told you we wouldn't work. I told you to stay with her but don't come back after it all went down to ask me to give us a try. I'm not a back-up plan, I'm not a fill-in."

"That's not it..."

Before he could finish a car drove and stopped right beside them and Kazia recognized it. It was Chisom. He had called and offered to drive her home.

He got out of the car and was by her side in a matter of seconds. Placing his hand on her waist he pulled her to his side and Kazia could feel his eyes burning at Raymond.

"Chisom this is Raymond. He's an old friend. Raymond...Chisom."

"Nice to meet you." Chisom said stretching out his hand. It was a battle of testosterone and she had enough of it.

"Can we go?" Kazia said mustering a warm smile.

"Nice seeing you again Raymond, hope to see you around." And without letting him say another word Kazia turned her back from him and walked away with Chisom even though everything in her wanted to do just the opposite.