03) The day I dread

It was gloomy outside. I hadn't gotten sleep much or at all. I walked into my bathroom to see bags under my eyes.

   The black, tattered Marine hat sat on the sink beside my drawing of it and Max.

   I hopped into the shower and sat on the ground with the water falling over me. I wasn't in the mood for today. I've been dreading today all week. The day we actually said good-bye.

   "Jenna hurry up" my Dad croaked from the other side of my bathroom door.

   I got out and wrapped a towel around myself. I quickly put my undergarments on and dried my hair.

   Justin hasn't left our room for the past week. But I haven't left my bed. Justin had done the most trying to get me to talk but nothing he could say would ever wake me up from the nightmare I was living.

   I did my makeup. My eyes consisted of a smoky eye, eye liner, and masscara. While I left my lips and the rest of my face alone.

   I curled my hair and then put my black dress on. But of course I put on that black hat. With a charm bracelet around my wrist that Kyle had sent me my last birthday.

   I dragged myself out of the bathroom as my twin made his way in. Dragging myself all the way downstairs where breakfast was waiting. But it wasn't much. I sat next to my Mom on the couch and she immediately pulled me into her. As we laid there in silence Justin came down the stairs. He glanced at me then grabbed an apple from the kitchen.

   "Has she talked yet" I heard my Dad whisper towards him as Mom stroked my hair careful not to mess up my curls. Justin shook his head and my Dad sighed rubbing his forehead.

   My Mom and Dad got up and started to get in the car. But I stayed on the couch. Soon after I sat there for awhile Justin linked his arm with mine and directed me towards the car. My head made its way to his shoulder. I closed my eyes once again wishing it were all just a dream. That if I opened my eyes I would see Justin and I were on are bikes in the woods laughing with are friends.

   But when I opened my eyes again we were in the church. Kyle was in front of us. But not in a way we had hoped. The choir was singing but all I was focused on was the casket in front of me. The American flag on top the dark smooth wood casket that held our brother.

   Mom was crying and Justin was looking at the ground. Then the door opened and we heard a dog. But not just any dog. It was Max. He was trying to get off the leash they had him attached to. He was trying so hard to get to his owner. Justin and I watched as they let him go and he jumped up on the casket.

   Mom seemed to cry more than she had before. Max pawed at the casket as if he was hoping it would open and Kyle would pop out with a huge smile on his face. But then again I was hoping for the same thing. Hoping that he would pop out and tell me everything was going to be ok.  But nothing happened.

   Until he finally realized nothing ever would happen. And he laid down. Like a good well mannered dog he laid down. Everyone was staring at him in silence even the choir. Nobody dared to move or even speak.

   After awhile of silence the choir started again but all I could do was watch Max. And I could of sworn he turned to look at me for awhile. But I guess I was wrong. Justin grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. I gave his hand a squeeze. But I didn't look at him. I didn't look at anybody. I just watched the dog in front of me.

   After a lot of crying and people coming up to us and giving us hugs it was time to go to the grave yard. The Marine guys had Max by his leash and tried getting him out but he wouldn't budge.

   I was sitting in my seat watching as they tried to get him to leave. I finally had enough and walked over towards them. "Miss.Wincott please back away from the dog" but I didn't listen. I took off the black hat and held it out towards Max. He stopped fighting them and looked at me. He stepped forward and sniffed the hat. Then he took it from me. I almost had a break down but I knew it was for the best. He needed it more than I did.

   My family watched us as they talked to one of the marines. Then Max stepped towards my still kneeling self and licked my face. I hadn't expected it. I lifted my hand from off the ground and held it towards him. He sniffed it then licked it before backing away. He looked towards Justin but Justin tried ignoring him.

    "Excuse me but who might you two be" Justin grabbed my arm as the Marine talked and pulled me back.

   "This is Justin and Jenna their Kyle's siblings" Mom hugged me from the side as I watched Max look at my twin and I.

  "Well how would you two like to help us get him in the van" Justin and I looked at each other before walking out of the church. But before completely leaving the church I looked back at the casket one last time before my Dad put his hand on my shoulder and we all walked out.

   Justin and I had to walk beside Max and the Marine holding him so he wouldn't freak. I guess the fact that we're Kyle's family he's kinda okay with us.

   We got towards the back of the K9 unit van. "And here comes the hard part" Justin and I stepped back and watched as they put a muzzle on him and shoved him into the back of the van. Max growled and the closed the cage. "Young lady" I perked up as he walked over to me. "I believe this is yours" he pulled out my black hat and I quickly took it from his hands and hugged it to my chest.

   The Marine had scratches on his face from Max. I felt so sorry for the dog when he stared at us from the cage. He finally closed the door and nodded in thanks towards us.

    He got in the drivers seat and we watched him leave with the one thing that I actually felt like knew Kyle a little more than I myself did. But as I thought more about it how much did I really know about Kyle.

Did I really know him at all.....