08) Dinner with Carmen

After what seemed to be an hour Justin came up the stairs and practically dragged me to Dinner by my feet. Litterally I think I hit my head more than once.

"Everything's outstanding Pam thank you" Dad said taking a bite out of the food in front of him. I sat beside Justin and pushed my food around with my fork. Carmen complimented the food too.

"Now you guys know this is over cooked I don't know what happened I've made this over a hundred times" oh no Momma's gonna cry. "I put it in Mary called you know how she can get and um I just forgot to take it out" then she started crying.

I felt someone grab my hand and turned to my left to see my Dad smiling at me. Justin said something to Carmen as the silence grew. I kicked him in the shin making him wince. "I'm sorry Carmen we recently lost are oldest son and um well" Carmen apologised and I could feel a tear fall down my already red cheek.

"Um uh tell us something about you" Mom said trying to changed the subject. "How you got to be such good working with dogs" Dad let go of my hand and I actually picked something up with my fork and shoved it in my mouth.

"Oh well my old man uh Father used to raise pit bulls and my brother trains them so" she said kinda awkwardly. "Pit bulls was he dog fighting" Dad said and I slumped into my seat. Carmen looked a little uncomfortable.

"My brother rescues strays" and then more silence. "Well you should see her with Max" I said barely above a whisper but I know they heard. I took another bite of my food. "She's showing Justin how to work with him" I said a little louder. Max then started barking and then the bell rang.

"I got it" Justin and I said. We both walked to the door and saw Tyler. I walked closer to Justin.

"My goodness look at you kids all grown up how you doin" we both said good as I tried looking anywhere else but out that door. "Can I uh come in" we both moved out of the way and he stepped in making his way towards the dinning room.

"I hope its okay I came by like this" are Dad stood up with a big smile on his face. "Of course its good to see you" Mom hugged him and he gave her the flowers in his hand. Saying how sorry he is.

Then they started talking about the fourth of July. "Doesn't it hurt all that metal in your back" Carmen said as she stood up.

Everyone stared at her and Dads smile faded. "Ya uh well they got me on some meds I hardly notice it" he said putting his hands on his waist.

"This is Carmen the twins friend oh you know what I know someone else who will be glad to see you" Mom said then we all made our way towards the back yard. Justin and I glanced at each other before following.

Mom opened the door and Max and Tyler's expressions changed. "Max" he said and Max started growling and barking. I walked closer to him and Tyler grabbed my arm. He was holding onto it really tight but I got out of his grip and sat beside Max holding the chain. Then he broke the peg out of the ground and I grabbed it as Justin and Carmen ran towards us.

But my arm burned and I let go. Mom, Dad and Tyler went back inside and Justin grabbed then chain as I held my arm and tried getting up.

Max continued to bark. Justin got the peg back and then him and Carmen walked towards me. Justin grabbed my arm and I winced in pain.

He looked at Max then back at my bruise. "Justin it wasn't Max" they both looked at me then Mom called us inside. Without them noticing I grabbed a wrap and wrapped it around my arm and hid it in my jacket.

"Come on kids were talking Carmen home" I ran downstairs and jumped in the front with Mom as Justin and Carmen got in the back.

We drove all the way towards her house and say a bunch of dogs in the window. Justin helped her with her bike and closed the trunk. Mom and I watched. Me being able to hear and all. There were some kids from the bike lot riding around. Carmen left inside and Justin came back into the car.

Mom and I smirked at each other. "What" Justin said climbing back in the car. Mom and I shrugged "nothing" we both said.

He mumbled a whatever and we drove back home to where I took a shower then headed back outside to where I would once again sleep on the grass near Max....