11) Blame

Walking around storage units with a coke on a hot summer day in Texas is my kinda day.

Tyler and Dad were looking through the units when I caught them talking in the office. "Tyler I need to know" My dad said sounding desperate. Ive never heard him sound like that ever in my life.

So I stepped closer to the open window so I could hear exactly what they were saying. "Bout what sir."

"How my son died." I gasped silently and threw my hand over my mouth. Id never expected to hear the answer that came next and it broke my heart into a million pieces. But it wasn't true.

"Sir Kyle was the bestfriend I could ever have ok, he was the bravest marine I ever knew" a tear slipped down my cheek as I slide down the wall. "We were out on the last patrol lookin for the last arms, and thats when it hit the fans, bullets flying you name it, it was hell on earth. The dog lost it" and thats when I lost it.

I picked myself up, grabbed my bike ,and I bolted. I heard to much but I couldn't hear the rest. I would never hear the rest.

I peddled home as fast as possible. Justin was in our room playing video games when I burst in.

Throwing things left and right I chucked my helmet on the floor and crashed on my bed.

It was silent. All you could hear was Justins video game. He didnt even hear me come in.

I slowly opened my curtain to see Max looking up at me from inside his cage. Theres no possible way that dog would or could have done anything to my brother.

I've seen how Max looked at him and I won't believe a word out of anybodys mouths.

But when it got dark and Dad got home from work. Justin was still playing video games, Mom was cooking, and then there was me. I stared out the window watching everything unfold like hell.

Dad got out of his car slamming the door and opened the door of Max's cage. Max barked and Dad was yelling. He even pulled out a gun. Justin finally came to and bolted down the stairs.

"Dad what are you doing" I grabbed Kyles blanket and slowly stepped down the stairs.

"Go back in the house Justin" I was on the last step before I ran to the door. I slammed into it making my hair fly. Justin and Dad were yellig again.

"What are you doing with that gun" Justin asked. "This dog turned on your brother and got him killed" Dad shouted.

I finally stepped in trying to save my dog. "Says who" my voice was shaky and I could barely breath. "Tyler said it didnt he" Dad never looked at me or Justin just pointed the gun at Max.

"Dad, Max would never do that" Justin said stepping further into the lawn.

"You two don't know anything about this animal" I scoffed and stepped out the door.

"I knew Kyle" Justin started.

"Kyle would not have but his buddies lives on line with a dog he couldnt trust" Tears began to pool down my face. "Please Dad."

"Ray, what is goin on out here?" Mom said join us in the yard. Dad looked at the three of us. I could see that crazy look in his eyes just wanting badly to kill Max. Dad looked at us long and hard before he finally shoved his gun in his pocket and shut the cage door.

He was walking back inside when he stopped infront of Justin. "He screws up one time he's gonna get put down so you understand me" Max stared at us with those sweet puppy eyes.

Right there at that moment Justin and I knew what we had to do.