22: Italian Ham

Chapter 22: Italian Ham

I needed to ask Leo what was up with him. He looked so stressed out. But he wasn't even around these days so I didn't even get an opportunity to question his sudden decision to quit the team. He was even throwing away his opportunity of getting a hefty scholarship to universities.

He finally decided to show up for dinner at time today. Leo sat down on the table as I arranged the takeout boxes. I ordered us some kebabs and some flatbread.

He looked aloof as he did usually these days. He started to chow down his food as soon as I served it to him. Wow he must have been hungry.

I was on my third bite when I realized Leo was done. "Whoa slow down there. You are already done?"

"Yeah", he took his plate to the sink and started cleaning it.

"Where do you go these days? I barely see you around".

"Work", he replied briefly.

"It's a Sunday. You don't have work on Sundays".

"Well now I do", he placed his plate on the rack. "I gotta go", he was about to get out of the house but then I stopped him.

"Wait!"

"What?" He stopped in his tracks, turning around, looking impatient.

"My mom got a call from the coach. He said you quit the team".

"Yeah I did", he shrugged.

"Why?"

"To work".

"You quit the team just to work?"

"Yeah", I was getting irritated by his vague answers.

"Are you sure there isn't something else?" I asked worried about him. He didn't look like his usual self. He had dark circles under his eyes and he looked stressed out.

"NO THERE ISN'T. And mind your fucking business Emma", he barked with that he left. I was astonished by the sudden change in behavior. That was rude but I decided to ignore it.

................

"Do you think this is a good idea?" I asked doubting George's plan.

"Hell yeah it is. Now hurry up we need to catch them before they finish up and go!"

"How are you sure they are at Raven's?" Hailey snapped us a picture of fries and George figured out she was at Raven's from that.

"Bitch I know my fries very well. They were exactly like Raven's. Thick and long just how I like my-".

"Eww please no George. There is something called too much information. Remember that".

"What? I was just describing my perfect man's particular anatomy. What's the harm in that?"

I just gave him the look. That was enough to shut him up.

"Wait. Hailey will see us", I whispered to George as he was about to enter the restaurant.

"So? We are here to bust her. Right? In fact we should barge in catch her red-handed", he entered the place while I followed him behind.

Okay a few seconds ago we saw Derek opposite to him but now it seems that he wasn't sitting with her. She looked kind of anxious, busily scrolling down her phone.

"Oh hey guys!" Hailey looked up greeting us, looking astonished. She is so busted. But where the hell is Derek?

"Hailey what are you doing here?!" George asked pretending to look surprised.