1: The Crust

Chapter One: The Crust

School sucks.

Actually erase that, school is a monster that feeds on the souls of children. 

I grumpily made my way to the cafeteria hoping to grab some lunch. The only redeeming quality of our school was the Wednesday lunch, which was my favorite. Most of the food in our school lunch was no different from the soggy, inedible cardboard they served in every other school. However, I looked forward to the one good thing on today's menu. Pizza.

Every Wednesday we had this special pizza which is one of the best I had tasted. I really needed to channel my inner Usain Bolt and get to the cafeteria fast. Unfortunately my small legs couldn't carry me much faster. I looked at my watch. Shit! I was already five minutes late. Good things always come in limited edition so our pizzas were limited too.

Usually the pizzas were finished in ten minutes flat and then they would start serving the 'lunch box'. It was a box with several square compartments with food neatly placed in it. It contained mashed potatoes, some boiled vegetables (which I always throw away) and yesterday's leftovers.
I know, smart right? A very subtle way of robbing famished irritated kids.
I entered the cafeteria to see a long queue in front of the serving station. I took out a 5 dollar bill and took my queue behind a short Asian kid. After much feet tapping and feeling weird under weird Asian boy's scrutinizing eyes the line moved only an inch.
I hate this.
Something hot pink caught my peripheral vision, I looked around to be hit by the smell of lipgloss and Kim K's signature perfume . Jules Williams giggling with her -as I refer to them- "Army Of Skanks" or "Minions". She was dressed in a high waist, A line baby pink skirt and a striped magenta and black top. Jules was definitely the most popular girl in our grade and perhaps the prettiest with her platinum blonde hair and the figure of Cameron Diaz. She was every parent's ideal daughter- straight A student, president of the debate club and not to mention the head cheerleader.

Wait something seemed fishy-Jules was whispering something to her minions and giggling. I was used to the giggling part but what were they whispering about and why was she holding a bucket in her perfectly manicured hands.

The line in front of me moved a few inches so I gingerly occupied the empty space in front of me. I looked at the array of pizza which was disappearing one by one. I mentally calculated the amount of people in front of me and the number of delectable pizzas left on the tray. Shit! I won't even get a slice.

I couldn't afford to stand here and dream about eating them. It's time to take a decision. I couldn't help but shift my gaze towards Jules. This is really fishy. Why is she carrying a bucket?

She tilted her bucket a little revealing the contents of the bucket. It was paint. Jet black colored paint. It looked disgusting. Imagine someone drenched in that. It would take hours to remove it.

Wait a minute. I looked up to see Jules at the doorway of the cafeteria. It looked like she was waiting for someone. Jules Williams holding a bucket of mucky black paint and no one noticed? That's something new.

My trail of thoughts was interrupted by the ringtone of my cell phone.

Buddy you're a boy make a big noise
Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on yo' face
You big disgrace
Kickin' your can all over the place
Singin'

We will we will rock you

Yup that's my jam.

"Emma what took you so long to receive my call?" my best friend cried out. Before I could say anything, she answered for me," Lemme guess you were singing to your ringtone?"