Guardian Angel ➺3

➺✿➺
(Y/n): Your Name
(H/c): Hair Color
(E/c): Eye Color
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺
Art by Brandon Dunn on Artstation
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺

I shivered and hugged myself closer to the wall of the cliff side. Cursing, I pulled my cloak around myself tightly. I stared up the snowy cliff side to see Link struggling to pull himself over the ledge, the torch that had allowed us passage so far lay in a drift of snow near his elbows. "Come on, Kid! I need that torch before I freeze to death!" He slipped a bit and I cringed. "You alright?" He grunted with effort and finally reached the top of the cliff side, shivering as he picked up the fallen torch. "Yea, hurry up and get up here! The next shrine isn't far." I reached upward and began to climb, soon finding myself in the same predicament as Link was in seconds before. I sighed and looked up, seeing Link extending a hand. He smiled warmly as I took it and he raised me up from the snow. It was hard to believe that we had met just days before this, and I couldn't believe I was aiding someone I should consider a stranger...

But every time I looked at him I felt a pang in my chest, as though my eyes were meeting those of a long time friend. Everything about him seemed so new, yet so familiar, and I couldn't place why. Regardless, I felt entitled to protecting the kid, no matter what crazy adventure he gets himself into.

I held closely to that protective instinct whilst around the boy, as though I knew it was my job to keep him from harm. Otherwise, there'd be no way I'd follow him to the snow-capped peaks of the Great Plateau. After solving the puzzles of the first ancient shrine, we'd returned to the old man. He'd simply told us that we had more "treasure" to find before he'd fork over the paraglider. The treasures to which he was referring were called spirit orbs, and they had been bestowed to Link once we'd completed the shrine. We continued on to fetch two more of the mysterious orbs and we were on the verge of finding the final one. Unfortunately, this orb required us to climb up the snowy cliff sides bordering the Great Plateau, a feat that neither of us cared to do in the light clothing we were wearing.

Once I'd been set on my feet once more, I reached out for the torch. We were nearly to the shrine, and Link would need to use his Sheikah Slate shortly. All of the shrines had required the slate so far, and each taught Link a new skill. Because of this, I hadn't been of much use. There were occasional enemies scattered throughout the shrines, but it was nothing Link couldn't handle. Eventually, we'd elected that I should stay outside and wait for him to complete the puzzles inside. I was a bit put off by this idea at first. I wasn't sure what I'd do if some harm came to Link because I hadn't been by his side, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to aid him much without a Sheikah Slate of my own, so I reluctantly agreed.

Regardless of this setback, I still made myself useful. Often I would gather food or materials whilst Link was in a shrine. I would also kill off any enemy that stalked too close to the entrance. The parts of these monsters, whilst vile when cooked in food, were rather useful for elixirs, such as the one I'd drunk days before to cure the arrow wound in my shoulder. If I couldn't be of help directly at the moment, I could at least keep him well supplied with elixirs and food.

Within minutes, Link emerged from the shrine entrance once more, smiling brightly. I couldn't help but return the gesture as I asked him how it went. "Great! This was the last one." I nodded. "Yep. You did well." He glanced away, smiling at the ground until I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Let's get back then?" He pulled the Sheikah Slate from his hip and selected the tower we'd climbed previously. Soon enough, we had teleported to the top of the tower and we proceeded to search for the old man.