Shield of Ember ➺24

➺✿➺
(Y/n): Your name
(H/c): Hair color
(E/c): Eye color 
(F/c): Favorite Color
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺
Art by Nesskain on Artstation
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺

Though it kept my skin from melting off, I felt this armor weighing on me. It was an annoyance, a restriction that limited movement unlike any other outfit I'd worn on this trip. If it was getting on my nerves now, I could only imagine how it'd feel to trudge up the side of a volcano, dragged down with each step as I carried this burden. Not to mention the horrific, lizard-like creature I'd be battling one I reached the top.

I stopped in my tracks for a moment. I hadn't considered what this armor might do to someone in a high stakes battle, such as the ones we'd engaged in before. 'Maybe it's super durable..." I hoped to myself, pressing my fingers against the dense fabric. Though it was tough, I wasn't sure it'd do much to stop the blows from a Divine Beast... nor would it protect me from the parasite within.

With a shake of my head, I elected to push the thought from my mind. Dwelling on things I couldn't help wasn't getting me anywhere. Right now, I needed to find Link and see if he'd had any luck searching for the Goron child. I adjusted my suit and quickened my pace, my footsteps echoing my determined sentiment as I made my way back through the city.

I glanced inside just about every building I crossed, wondering whether Link had returned yet. Alas, he was no where to be found. I knew I'd have to travel into the abandoned North Mine soon, but I wanted to speak with someone first to ensure he hadn't returned.  It wouldn't hurt to check in before endangering myself. My eyes peered around a pile of rock, only to see Bludo standing in the same place we'd found him in.  A took a step, until I heard him howl in pain.  If Link were back, he would've had his pain medication by now.  With a final glance around the city, I decided it was time to finally leave.  If it'd learned anything from our trip so far, Link would not be the one searching for me.

I began my trek, following the same path we'd taken twice before back when we lacked the Flamebreaker armor. I slipped quickly past the guard, who wasn't paying particularly close attention to his duty, by heaving myself over a rocky deposit and touching down on the other side.  In the center of the clearing lay some sort of mechanism.  I reached my hand out, running my fingertips across the surface.  It was constructed of a tough metal, similarly to the rest of the Goron's inventions.  Had it not been for my protective gloves, I was sure I'd have burnt my fingers off. 

     I raised my hand towards my face, examining the thick layer of soot that I'd swiped from the machine.  A voice called out to me as I did so, frantically yelling for me to get away.   "That's the boss' cannon!  Don't you daaare touch it!"  I recognized the drawl in his voice.  This was the same Goron that's been guarding the "cannons" when we'd first arrived in the North Mine.  With a sharp glance over my shoulder, I returned to the task at hand.  If he wanted to stop me, he'd have to come get me.

     My eyes traced the mechanism, before landing on a peculiar marking in the grime.  A small handprint had left an imprint in the volcanic ash.  I pressed my own hand to its outline, hoping to compare the two.  Sure enough, my hand matched it perfectly.  Link had needed to use this cannon to continue on.  I scanned the surrounding area for any obstacles.  It seemed like anything that needed to be cleared, had been cleared already.   This was quite the stroke of luck, as I hadn't any bombs or ammunition to fire from this cannon. 

     I felt someone grab my shoulder.  It caught me off guard as I reached for the hilt of my scimitar.  Luckily, it was only the Goron guard.  "Hey!  You reeeally shouldn't be touching that cannon.  I can't have you firing that thing willy-nilly."  I relaxed quickly.  Seeing as I had no need to fire the cannon now, I figured I'd reassure him.  "Don't worry.  I won't be firing it."   He breathed a sigh of relief.