A Place to Call Ours ✿1

➺✿➺
(Y/n): Your name
(H/c): Hair color
(E/c): Eye color
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺
Aftermath: Part 1
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺
Art by Genuerevuelta on Tumblr
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺

     The world was spinning beneath my feet.  We were back in the battle against Calamity Ganon all over again.  That wretched creature pulsed grotesquely and lashed out at us as we weaved between its every strike.

     Or, at least, I thought we did.  My eyes shifted rapidly around the burning battlefield, searching for my partner amongst the bloodied ground as my feet carried me past the wreckage of Hyrule, but my beloved hero was no where to be seen.  I dropped to my knees in anguish as the world around me turned to ash.

➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺

     I awoke to the gentle tickle of hair against my nose and the comfort of a hand resting along my lower back. It moved in circles slowly as I calmed my breathing and clung to my lover. His cheek pressed close to mine as I shivered in the cool morning air. "Are you feeling alright, (Y/n)?" Link asked, a hint of worry mixing with his gentle tone. I smiled, feeling as though it'd be months since I last heard his voice.

     "I'll be alright," I said truthfully, already feeling much better now that his warm touch had brought me back to reality.  He nodded in understanding, likely knowing exactly what I'd been dreaming of.  The two of us had been having similar experiences after our battle for Hyrule, despite the weeks that had passed since that time.

     Originally, we wanted to stay near Hyrule Castle, helping to rebuild the damage that one hundred years of monster infestation had caused.  But, the haunting reminder of our toils was always on the back of our minds.  Sometimes, all I could see in that healing landscape was the hellish fires of Ganon's wrath.  It was eating away at the both of us no matter how hard we tried to wipe it away.

     The Princess had caught onto this quickly.  She supposed that the horrors we'd seen along our journey were weighing on us as we stayed there. Zelda asked that we travel away from the castle grounds and take some time to heal ourselves.  I resisted at first, claiming that our work wasn't finished until Hyrule was restored, but the sleepless nights and the anxious days were too much to bear.  It didn't take long for her to assure us that we'd done enough for this country, and it was time to take a break.

      And oh, was she ever correct.  Though nightmares still reared their ugly heads from time to time, they'd become less and less common occurrences.  With Ganon gone and Hyrule in repair, Link and I could finally relax, simply enjoying the company of one another.

As if to remind me of what I was currently enjoying, Link placed a gentle kiss against my lips. I smiled and let my eyes meet his own. "Sorry. Was I spacing out?"

"A little bit. I don't blame you though. You were up late last night," he said as I elbowed him playfully. "And whose fault was that?" I asked. He lazily shrugged, as if to admit defeat. Yet, that stupid, lovely grin of his was still plastered on his face. I kissed his cheek as I pushed myself up into a different position.

I stared out over the vast landscape, reveling in the rolling hills and the wind gently blowing through my hair. I could feel Link's eyes on me all the way. Eventually, he propped himself up and followed my line of sight. We sat there in silence for a bit, simply appreciating the land we'd fought so hard for. His fingertips traced my lower back as a lingering question popped back into his mind.