Battling the Past ➺8

➺✿➺
(Y/n): Your name
(H/c): Hair color
(E/c): Eye color
(N/n): Nickname
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺
Art by Cindy Avelino on Artstation
➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺➺

     We met Sidon and Muzu down in the central square of Zora's Domain. It didn't take long. Despite the grandeur of this area, it was rather small and I wondered how they could possibly support so many Zora.  The two were arguing once more, standing at the foot of Mipha's statue.  I hadn't taken time yet to admire the statue's craftsmanship.  Her essence was forever immortalized in stone, guarding over the Zora with her trident in hand.  I could practically hear her sweet voice chiming in my head as I walked past.  A graceful smile was hammered into the damp stone with care, giving a sense of comfort to all who came near.

     Link approached first, trying to what part of the argument they had reached. Muzu cut him off harshly as he tried to intervene. "You came here for nothing! My mind cannot be so easily swayed." He announced, waving an arm through the air. I crossed my arms, fed up with his attitude. "You resent us for 'allowing' Lady Mipha to die, but when we return to avenge her, you refuse to help! Don't you want to reclaim Vah Ruta? Wouldn't you like to ensure Mipha didn't die in vain?!" I was yelling now, my fists clenched in frustration. The three surrounding me stared with wide eyes as I continued my outburst. "I understand that you're upset with us and you feel as though you've lost everything, but you're not the only one affected by her death! You cannot sit here and pout forever whilst people are in danger!"

Link placed a hand on my shoulder and I regained control of myself, taking a step back to listen to the rest of the conversation. Sidon cleared his throat. "She has a point. And, there is something you need to know." Muzu shifted uncomfortably as the Prince explained. "Link is the one that my sister planned to marry. She crafted that tunic to fit him and him alone." It was my turn to be surprised. Though I knew she had created that armor for Link, I was blind to what it symbolized. I stared at Link as the realization hit him, my eyes narrowing slowly.   It was said that the hero was reincarnated whenever Hyrule was in need.  Each time, he touched the lives of so many.  Each time, he was destined to fall for the Princess. 

     But, for every life, I'd wager that there were those like Mipha who weren't lucky enough to be in the place of the Hylian girl.  I wondered how many women Link had left behind.  Mipha's carved eyes stared down at me from her place atop the pedestal.  The rain clung to her stone eyelids and rolled down her cheeks.  For a fleeting moment, it seemed as though she was crying. 

     I shook my head, regaining my focus.  Did Link's choice of woman really matter?  I had more important things to think about.  Sidon's voice brought me back to reality as he described himself as a child.  He hadn't understood Link and Mipha's relationship at the time, but had instead grown up on stories of his sister's undying love for the hero.  I felt a pang in my chest as I clung to my brief memory of Mipha.

     Muzu jumped back in surprise, not believing the news.  "No!  Clearly you're lying!  I will not be fooled so easily!"  He turned to Link, pointing an accusing finger.  "There's no way Mipha would have feelings for a Hylian like him.  He doesn't even remember her, despite seeing her likeness!"  He announced, referring to the stone statue that watched the debate silently.  Prince Sidon continued to argue with Muzu as my attention shifted to Link. 

     His gaze was focused onto the statue.  He took a step back as his eyes glazed over.  I recognized his reaction immediately... He was remembering her.  His blue eyes widened and he stumbled slightly.   Without thinking, I placed a hand on his shoulder to steady him whilst hushing the two Zora.  Prince Sidon turned, surprised.  "What is it?"