Cold Water » The Consummation

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I left Danielle to rummage through the boxes her parents had sent over. She was happy with the things, I could tell. The rest of her stuff would arrive tomorrow. I headed down to my study and picked up the phone. It rang a few times until an out of breath Rena answered.

"Hello?" She sounded exasperated.

"Hey Rena, it's me." I said.

"Brock? Hey, wait, you're home, I thought you weren't due back for a couple of days?" She asked.

"Change of plans," I rushed. "Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yeah, just mix up with an order, and I have to rush to get it filled. I won't bore you with the details." she explained.

"I might be able to do you a favour then. Can I come get kids and take them for the weekend?" I asked.

"Of course, they'll love that!" She said.

"Great, um I need to tell you something as well." I said.

"OK, well I'll see you when you get here. Is everything alright?" She sounded concerned and I mentally kicked myself.

Of course Rena would pick up. My ex-wife knew me better than most.

"Absolutely, I'll see you in an hour." I said.

I am so screwed.

Brock knocked on the bedroom door nervously. Danielle turned and saw the look on his face. She frowned and got up leaning on the bed ever so slightly.

"What is it?" She asked. Brock could see the fear in her eyes. She thought it was about her family.

"I've got someone, I need you to meet my family and someone in particular, and I'm sorry cause it's maybe going to be a bit of a shock." I stated hesitantly.

They stood in silence for several moments. Danielle shuffled slightly, and opened her mouth before closing it again.

Brock rubbed his palms against his shirt and thought about how to speak to her.

"My kids are coming over to spend the week." I said.

She slumped to the floor in shock. "What the hell am I supposed to do? I don't know anything about kids! I have no experience with them at all besides my you get sisters! I never wanted any." She said.

Brock rubbed the back of his head and crouched down to sit across from her.

"First, breathe. It's just one more hoop we have to jump through. We need to look like a loving family, we can do that. The kids will love you, they love everyone." I said.

"That isn't a big comfort." She said.

ε ε ε

For all intents and purposes, Brock's ex-wife was a practical woman. She had helped Brock during a particularly difficult time in his life. They had bonded, married and she had given birth to two beautiful little boys. Despite the fact that their marriage had ended, neither were bitter about it. Both realised early on they were happier apart and that although they no longer loved each other, they were still close. The kids were happy enough with the situation as well. Especially when they found out how many more presents that equalled at their last birthday party. But they still missed their daddy when he was on the road.

Recently, Rena had married an investment banker named Mark and he had moved into their house shortly after. Thankfully, he and Brock got on well enough.