Chapter Four

He dragged himself into the shop that early Monday morning, sorting out all the tables and chairs and wincing at his hand just a couple of times. It's healed over, some old skin starting to blister to make Louis' skin look all warty and terrifying. At least it wasn't that bad.

There was only one thing he was afraid of and it's rather obvious. Yes, the coffee machine but something else he was absolutely frightened of and that was Harry Styles himself possibly going to make an appearance in front of Louis on his shift alone. Louis wouldn't be able to handle it.

Louis thinks maybe it's time to get a new hairstyle, or style in general, maybe a sex change. Yeah. He didn't want Harry to recognize him, ever. And Louis just wanted to stay out of Harry's life. But that wasn't obviously going to work because Louis had a damn job at the damn University Harry fucking Styles studies at.

Louis was just so damn angry.

He cleaned the bench, filling the sugar station and candy bar before standing at his main post and cautiously making a small cappuccino to wake up his insides. The burning heat of the coffee slid down his throat and Louis coughed slightly. He looked at the clock, 8:30. Time to let the customers in.

Louis was actually praying to god that Harry wasn't at the door.

Yeah, the unlucky bastard. I feel sorry for him sometimes.

He didn't even take one moment to stare and linger, trying to rush back to his station and hoping that Harry didn't see him. But he did because Louis was unlucky. Louis was pushed back by the surging crowd of students and next to nothing, he was beside Harry and starting to breathe quickly. Harry's eyes widened.

"Louis!"

It sounded so fake. Harry was fake. Louis hated him.

Louis didn't respond, only hoping that maybe a train or something can fly through and smash Harry into the wall or drag him away so Louis could go back to work. Louis watched his emerald eyes flutter open and close at a random pace as Harry tucked his curls behind his ear. Another bandana - Louis thinks he's seen before - was on his forehead and the same polo from last week was covering his chest. Louis didn't want to look down to see his boots or pants. The last thing he wants is for Harry to know he's checking him out.

"Lou?"

Again, Louis didn't respond. He wanted to speak but he couldn't because it was Harry. Harry, the one with the tattoo and dear god, Louis hated tattoos so much. He wanted to rip them off and chew them until they were dog food. Louis was hoping Harry didn't have any piercings, nipple piercings especially.

"I need to get to work."

"Understandable," Harry smiled at Louis' tiny voice, watching his eye contact fade from his. "Um, do you want... um, to hang out maybe? Later?"

"Can't." Louis replied without hesitation.

"Why not?"

"I have... er, my youtube video to complete," Louis lied. "Lots of stuff to do."

"Oh, okay," Harry whispered. "What about tomorrow--"

"Harry, don't you understand what I say when I say I don't think we should see each other any more?" Louis sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose hard. "It means, I don't want to see you. Ever. Here. Anywhere."

"You can't just kick me out from a coffee shop I go to every morning and afternoon?"

"Not every morning and afternoon."

"Louis, can you just stop? Why are you trying so hard to push me away for? What are you afraid of? I'm just a friend who doesn't bite? Why can't we be friends?"