one

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Gone Forever

━━━━━━━━

11th Century

THE MIKAELSONS WEREN'T always a broken family. They were once happy: Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Kol, Finn, Henrik, and Athena. Finn was the oldest and Athena was the youngest.

Young Athena was a well-behaved child. Hardly did she get into trouble. Though when she did, it was never for a little reason. Athena didn't ever have a reason to get into trouble, and she wasn't selfish as to bring trouble to her. She was also an innocent, caring, sweet, young girl who was admired by her village.

Many families often watched as the little girl played with her siblings, their eyes filled with envy. Their children did not act the way the Mikaelson siblings did. And for that reason, the Mikaelsons were a well-known family across several communities. 

While Finn and Henrik loved their sister, Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, and Kol were the closest to her. There was no reason, it was just how it was. Henrik kept to himself most of the time though he did sometimes play with her. Finn helped their mother a lot so he wasn't really around much. Athena's remaining siblings had dedicated their time to making her life content. So Athena did the same for them.

Since she was an innocent child, never had Athena witnessed any violence before. Her siblings made sure she never saw any, so her mind stayed as pure as it could be. But there was the first day she ever saw an act of violence.

———

Athena picked the flowers in a nearby meadow by her village. She hummed softly. The young girl was only 7. Her small frame made it easy for her to dance around and not get tired. The dress she wore hung down her hips and dropped to her feet. The edges had been cut from where Esther snipped it since it was too long because the little girl had tripped.

She smiled as she picked a white flower; her favorite. Athena lifted it to her nose and smelt it; the smell she loved so much. Her sister, Rebekah, had brought her a few one day and had put one in her hair, much like she had a light blue flower in her hair right now, her hair in elegant braids.

The youngest child continued picking flowers until she heard a yell from the forest. Her head snapped up and she was about to call for her siblings when she heard a voice protest, "Please, father!" 

It was Niklaus; one of her older brothers. Without a second thought, Athena dropped her basket full of flowers and ran into the forest where she heard the voice. She came to a stop and hid behind a tree.

"You are nothing but a coward!" her father screamed. 

Athena peeked around the tree trunk. Her father was standing above her brother while Niklaus lied on the floor, blood running down his chin. She put a hand over her mouth to stifle a gasp. Her father was about to strike Niklaus again, but she ran out and stood in front of her brother, just as her father swung.