twenty-one

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

The Offer He Denied

━━━━━━━━

INSTEAD OF LEAVING like Athena said she would, the hybrid stayed at the mansion. Her family needed her and she needed them, leaving wasn't an option anymore. Even if the girl was yearning to go and look for her "Nyx friend", her family was more important. And maybe, just maybe he would find her rather than the other way around.

Klaus seemed to regret what he said considering that he made her breakfast the next morning after Rebekah left for school. Athena figured she didn't need to go to high school. After all, she was over a thousand years old in reality yet was a newly turned eighteen-year-old.

The two hybrids ate in silence but she could tell he had something on his mind. Athena took a stab at her eggs and continued chewing, looking up at her brother who wasn't paying any attention to her. Once she finished chewing, she twirled her fork in her eggs and sighed. "Spill it, Nik. What's wrong?"

He glanced at her and then turned his attention back to his food. "Why haven't you left?"

Athena took a second to reply and when she did, she dropped her fork and looked at him with sincerity. "Because I'm not leaving. You guys need me and I need you. I can't be selfish like that."

"You'd be better off without us."

The silence stretched out after that and Klaus ended up leaving the room, putting his empty plate in the sink. Athena was left alone in the house. So she finished up her food, cleaned the dishes, and then went into the living room.

A lone book sat on the coffee table so she picked it up and began to read it. But the silence was deafening, she hated it. In result, Athena closed the book and stood up, walking out of the mansion and into the woods.

———

Whether it was a vampire thing, a werewolf thing, or even a Nyx thing, Athena had a good sense when something was wrong. In a way, it was like a six sense. After her long walk in the woods, Athena had returned home, only to receive a weird feeling creeping up her neck.

However, when the girl looked around, she didn't see anything out of the ordinary. But when she entered the living room to see the fire lit and a person standing by it, her six sense partially burned her. The wolf inside of her was screaming at her, telling her to get ready to fight.

The mysterious person turned around and it was revealed to be Esther. Athena gaped in shock. "Mother?" She took a few steps and then flashed to Esther, pinning her to the wall. The Nyx part of her began to get angry and her violet eyes appeared, followed by her fangs and veins. "You have some guts showing your face here."