five

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Nyx

━━━━━━━━

Night came and went and soon day arrived. The sun rose, announcing a new day. No one who knew of the supernatural smiled at the sight. Because they all knew what would be occurring that night. The Sacrifice. Athena never dreamed that she would ever see such a tragedy. Was this really what had become of her brother? Yes, she understood how important it was to him to break this curse their mother placed upon him. Esther had stripped away a part of him he wanted it back because without it, he wasn't who he was meant to be. A true hybrid.

But that did not excuse all of the things he did to reach that point. All of the blood spilt and the lives lost. During the journey to becoming a hybrid, Klaus Mikaelson lost himself. He had killed too much. He had devastated too many people. In his travels to find his sister and revive what was left of their family, he became the monster he never wanted to be. Now, he thrived in the thought of men fearing him.

That was never how he was before. Klaus was one an older brother of a sister who looked up to him, who looked up to all of them. The Mikaelson siblings collapsed without the care of their youngest sister. She was the light for them, she guided them and encouraged them to be their best selves. And the moment she vanished, all hope was lost for them. 

Kol massacred villages and busied himself with women he didn't even know the names of. Rebekah fantasized about Athena. Thinking if her sister would approve of the clothes she wore or if she would accept the man she was in love with at that time. Elijah read books and imagined her sitting beside him, perching herself on his knee and resting her head on his shoulder, listening and letting the story loll her to sleep. Finn stayed silent, ridding any thought of her because it was just too painful. Klaus drowned himself in hatred in not saving her, reveling in bottles of alcohol. And Kol would even join him sometimes. Together they would kill hundreds while they were drunk.

Athena being gone broke them. She was their bandage. She was their savior. She was their angel sent from heaven and died at the hands of Hell. But that girl was very much alive. And Klaus was determined to break this curse not only for himself but for her too.

The said girl had awoken the next morning to Katherine shaking her gently. Her eyes peeled open slowly to see the brunette. "Morning. Sorry, I figured I'd wake you since it's already ten o'clock," Katherine apologized.

Athena groaned but got up anyway. Katherine left and she went to the bathroom to comb her hair and brush her teeth. Her nose scrunched up when she realized she had no extra clothing. All of her things were at the boarding house. Going back there would be dangerous considering that the Salvatores no doubt wanted her dead. She'd even probably be used as leverage.