twenty-seven

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Falling Apart Again

━━━━━━━━

REBEKAH WAS definitely suspicious. The next morning, Athena had gotten a text from Klaus, asking her and Rebekah to go to the Grill. Athena wanted to leave it as a surprise but her sister knew something was up. However, the blonde had gotten Matt a new truck and Matt worked at the Grill. So, in the end, Rebekah had no choice and had to go to the Grill with her sister.

Matt was washing the bar when they arrived and Athena pushed her Rebekah encouragingly toward him, sending her a thumbs up and a smile. She went over and sat next to Klaus who was watching the scene unfold.

Rebekah placed the car keys on the countertop and Matt looked at her. "What's that?"

She smiled kindly. "The key to your new truck. It's parked outside, paid for, insured, everything but a big red bow."

"If that's your idea of an apology, you should probably give it to Elena. She's the one that you and your sister killed."

Matt swung the rag onto his shoulder and walked away. Rebekah saw the frown on her sister's face and the sly smirk on Klaus's. Her sister shrugged. "Give him some time, Bex."

Klaus shook his head. "Naw, she's just trying too hard."

In response, she slapped him upside the head. Rebekah walked over to them, narrowing her eyes at Klaus. "Athena told me you were leaving town, forever."

He got up and Athena stole his fries, stuffing one in her mouth. "Well, I was. But then I thought to myself how can I when my sister, clearly so desperate for love and affection, is left here bribing the help."

Athena threw a fry at him. "Be nice!"

Klaus rolled his eyes playfully. Rebekah refused to look him in the eye. "What do you want Nik?" She finally looked him in the eye. "I thought you didn't care about us anymore."

"Things change Rebekah. I've stumbled upon something I think might be of interest to you."

She already knew what it was and tilted her head with a fake smile. "Yes, I already know about The Five sill existing."

Klaus looked behind him at Athena who was still munching on his fries. Athena smiled mockingly and waved. "You're welcome." She got up and went over to them, wrapping her both arms around their necks. "Come on, we can be a team!"

Rebekah wasn't going to stand for it and crossed her arms over her chest. She glared at Klaus. "We don't have anything to do, Athena. He doesn't deserve our help. I don't care about The Five and I don't care about you."

"As you wish."

Klaus left them and Athena sighed, giving her sister a tired look. "Couldn't you just have given him a shot?"