seventeen

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Broken Beyond Repair

━━━━━━━━

THE NEXT FEW DAYS PASSED in a blurry motion. Athena stayed locked up in her now finished and decorated bedroom most of the time. Klaus had kept her up to speed and she had found out that he had found the coffins. It brought a smile to the girl's face that her brother hadn't seen in days. She had taken the time to work on her fighting skills. It was easy for her to compel a trainer to help her out. Athena had learned quickly and then she compelled him to forget and the human left.

Night fell and Athena lied in her bed, reading a book when she heard crashing. She flashed down the stairs, dropping her book on her bed in the process, and appeared downstairs where she saw Klaus and Elijah fighting. Klaus held a dagger over Elijah and she yelled.

"Stop!"

The two looked at her and Klaus instantly let go of Elijah, put the dagger back into Kol's chest, and closed the coffin lid. Elijah stood shocked and then he smiled.

"Athena."

The girl ran to him and they embraced.

"You're back," she smiled, for the second time in days. They pulled apart and she frowned. "You missed a lot."

"Well, what have I missed?" he asked.

"Mikael is dead," Klaus spoke up.

Elijah looked shocked. "What did you say?"

"I killed him. With his own weapon. He's gone, Elijah. Forever."

The older brother looked between his two siblings before looking back at Klaus. "Why do our family remain in these coffins? Finn for over 900 years, Kol for over a century."

"Because of Stefan Salvatore," Athena answered, venom lacing her tone. Elijah was surprised. His sister never hated anyone, she never despised someone before. "He almost threw me into the ocean with a dagger in my chest. He didn't actually have one but still, he's trying to ruin our family, Elijah."

"He holds the one thing keeping me from freeing them," Klaus added. Elijah looked over at him. "There are things that you do not know about our past, Elijah. Our mother's death. Things I never wanted you to know but I'm ready to tell you now. I only ask that you remember the oath of loyalty you once swore to me."

Athena let out a sigh. "We end Stefan, and then our family will be reunited once more. He can't hurt us anymore."

Elijah nodded and then pulled her into another hug. But he knew that deep down that wasn't what Athena wanted. His sister wanted her family back even before they killed Stefan.

And he was going to give it to her.

---

"Are you serious!" Athena yelled, glaring at Klaus with anger.