twenty-nine

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Another Soul Gone

━━━━━━━━

PRIVACY WAS STILL a thing. However, Athena really didn't care at this point nor did she mind being in Stefan's room, reading his diary while he was in the shower. The said vampire walked out of his bathroom, a towel around his neck, and saw her.

He cleared his throat and she looked up at him with an innocent look. "I know you were, uh, in a coffin for a while, but, uh, privacy is still a thing."

Athena looked back down at his diary with a sigh. "Didn't think that writing in a diary was. Rebekah sent me here to keep you honest. You never know when you will be betrayed. Speaking of which." She looked up at him. "I heard what happened with Elena. I do feel sorry for you."

Stefan could tell she was being sincere and nodded, putting on a shirt. "Right. Well, you can read it all you want. I'm done with Elena."

Lie. "Mmm-hmm. But what happens when we find the cure?" He didn't answer her and poured himself a drink. "Stefan..."

"I'm ignoring you."

She closed the book and got up. Athena crossed the room to him. "I get it, we aren't far in the game to get the cure. Even with me and Rebekah, Team Klaus has Jeremy the hunter, team Shane has Bonnie the witch-"

"If you're here to remind me of our last place status, I'm very well aware."

Athena huffed and flicked a piece of hair out of her eyes. She put her head on his shoulder. "I came up with a plan. Rebekah wanted me to let you know, as well as keep an eye on you." She removed her head and he turned to her. "We know the cure is buried with Silas who managed to scare the wits out of Kol. While I tortured Shane, he gave away an oh-so-precious detail: one of the keys to resurrecting Silas is his headstone."

Stefan nodded, getting her idea. "I see. You wanna steal it."

The girl smirked with a light shrug. "Of course. Then Team Shane will join Team Athena, and Team Klaus will be left out."

"I'm surprised you're going against your brother."

Athena became solemn. "Hayley may have been a traitor, but she made a good point. My brother is turning my people into hybrids, and I need to step up and take my crown to protect them. This is my way of doing it."

———

When she reentered Shane's office from being on the phone with Rebekah, Stefan was rummaging through boxes on the side of the room. She crossed the room over to him. "Rebekah said she'll be here soon."

Athena went over to his desk and began looking through the drawers. Stefan went over to a filing cabinet, opened one drawer, closed it immediately, and then announced, "Well. Headstone's not here."