thirty-one

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Monster

━━━━━━━━

THEY HAD LOST another member of their little group. Damon. Athena really didn't care but it seemed wrong to ignore the warning that each and every one of them would be picked off. Caroline had updated them on the events going on in Mystic Falls and they updated her on their events. Klaus was still trapped in the Gilbert house which relieved them. If Klaus got out, he would come to the island and would no doubt try to beat them to the cure. And there was a chance that he would.

Athena hadn't forgotten what he had said to her, so the pain it caused was still there. But over the past few weeks, observing the others, she had learned how to cover it up. Rebekah was awfully good at it, as was Stefan. She didn't want to have to cover all of her pain and sadness for long. Maybe when she found him, she wouldn't have to. That would be amazing.

Unfortunately, Athena was forced to work with Elena as they worked to find the cure without the rest of their crew. Rebekah had been trying to receive cell service for the past ten minutes with no progress. Stefan and Elena sat nearby, talking. She didn't bother listening, but Athena knew her sister was.

It didn't take much time to realize that Rebekah still had feelings for Stefan. The only question was: how far would those feelings go? Athena didn't want her sister to get hurt, and that seemed like the only result at this point. With Elena in the picture still, Rebekah could never be with him. No matter what the Salvatore brother said, he wouldn't be over Elena in a long time.

What pushed her past her limits was when Athena glanced over to see Elena smiling at Stefan, holding his hand. Rebekah looked pained and so she took the moment to grabbed her hand, drawing her attention. A smile crossed Athena's face and Rebekah sighed, doing the same.

Suddenly, Athena's phone rang which shocked her. Pulling out her phone, she saw it was Caroline. "Caroline?"

"Athena! We have the translation of the tattoo. We're emailing you pictures of the map and instructions right now."

Rebekah looked surprised as well and Athena checked her phone to see a notification. She nodded even though Caroline couldn't see it. "Email received. Thank you, Caroline."

"Actually, it was me," someone called out through the phone.

Both sisters rolled their eyes when they heard Klaus's voice. Athena scoffed. "You? You helped?"

"You sound so surprised, little sister."

Athena made a face and began to walk along the shoreline, Rebekah following. Rebekah spoke up, "Shouldn't we be? I mean, you don't want me to be human, and you don't want Athena to find her true love. Why would you help us find the cure?"