six

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

It Still Hurts

━━━━━━━━

YET ANOTHER VICTIM of a werewolf bite. Damon would be dead in a matter of a day at the most. The bite was already turning black and purple, veins crawling up his arm. It was only a matter of time before it reached his heart and killed him. Klaus wouldn't care. After all, all he wanted was to break his curse, take his sister, build his army, and reunite his family. He didn't care what happened to anyone else.

"So that's what a werewolf bite looks like," Katherine observed, peering over at the wound with a shaking Athena next to her. She had only been back for a few days and people were already dying. Death followed her whereever she went. First she and her siblings, and now the residents of Mystic Falls that were aware of the supernatural.

Damon nodded. "Yep."

Katherine studied it closer and then shrugged to show that it wasn't really as bad as she assumed it would be. She had never seen a werewolf bite before, never planned on it either. They were nasty things. "It's not that bad."

"Will be."

Damon stood up and rolled up his sleeve to cover the injury. Athena sighed, looking up at him even though he wasn't looking at her at all. "So you're going to die? There's nothing we can do to stop it?"

He looked at her. "Well, that depends. You know anything about a cure?" Little did they know, they would have a cure pretty soon. The sacrifice was happening while they were talking and Athena couldn't help but keep thinking about the people who would lose their lives. Elena, Jenna, and whoever Klaus chose as his werewolf. Elijah must have been with the others because she hadn't seen him in a while. Katherine and Athena both shook their heads. "Me, either."

Damon grabbed his jacket off the couch and put it on casually. Katherine leaned against the counter. "145 years and no last goodbye?" Her comment was meant to tease him but it seemed like he thought she was serious. The doppelganger knew he would survive the bite somehow.

"You don't get a goodbye," Damon replied.

He turned his back on them. Right before he could leave, Katherine sped in front of him, placing her hand on his chest. Athena raised an eyebrow, watching with confusion. "No. Don't leave mad."

"Us ending up on good terms isn't exactly on my bucket list, Katherine," Damon told her, rolling his eyes.

Damon attempted to leave again, but Katherine persisted. Athena felt awkward for sitting in the room. This was two people saying goodbye after knowing each other for over a century. Sure, Katherine had been the death of them, quite literally, but they still cared about each other at one point. "Klaus made me call Jenna to lure her out. There was nothing that I could do. I didn't have a choice," Katherine pointed out.