sixteen

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

When The Armor Breaks

━━━━━━━━

ATHENA SHRUGGED ON HER jacket and walked to the back door. Klaus was giving directions to one of the compelled humans when she reached the door. She looked over at him and pursed her lip.

Last night was rough for the both of them. Athena had cried herself to sleep and Klaus had held her the entire time, shedding tears of his own. They hardly got any sleep. They both knew she was right when she said that they would never stop fighting people who hated their family.

"Nik, I'm going for a run."

Klaus looked over at her and nodded. "Be careful. Call me if anything happens."

"I will."

Athena walked through the open door (since there wasn't an actual door yet) and walked to the woods behind the house.

The area in which the house was located was convenient. There were plenty of woods for her to explore and there weren't tons of houses around them. So Athena didn't have to worry about a human walking by and seeing a wolf in the front yard.

Once she got far enough, she put her spare clothes on a tree branch and then shifted into her wolf form. And without her knowledge, the same black wolf chased after her even though she couldn't see him.

---

After her run, Athena went back to the tree and dressed in the spare clothes. She was in the process of walking back when she caught a conversation going on between Stefan and Klaus.

"Do whatever you want, I don't really care. Or you know what? Maybe I do. Maybe I care so much, that I'll drop Elijah in the Arctic," Stefan taunted.

"Well, maybe I'll be willing to lose one brother if it meant killing yours," Klaus replied.

"Try me, let's find out."

Athena flashed back into the house and entered the room just as one of the hybrids, Mindy, did.

"I don't have to kill you do I?" Athena questioned.

The two looked at her and Mindy stood behind Athena.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Everything is fine, Athena, Mindy. Stefan was just leaving after failing to make his point," Klaus explained.

Athena saw the way that Stefan flinched at the mention of her name and she could see he was a wreck. Not on the outside, but the inside. He wasn't the same. Not because he lost Elena or Damon, but because he wasn't a part of her pack anymore. And it left an unbearable hole in his chest. Like a part of him had been ripped away and could not be replaced.