Chapter 14

As I enter our house, it was so quiet and empty. I feel a huge lump on my throat and I having a hard time breathing. My eyes are starting to form tears. And my knees are starting get weak when I take a step forwards inside my home. I look around and saw no one. My heart clenched when I realize that everything is not a nightmare, everything is true and real. My mom did got hit by car and died at the same day after her surgery.

I brush of my tears and slowly make my way in the kitchen. I'm used to seeing my mom cooking in here or she's just watching some of her favorite TV show in the living room, with Hailee sitting next to her. So having no one right now in this place is a very unfamiliar sight and feeling for me.

Hailee is staying at Justin's house. I'm just going to pick her up tomorrow morning before we go to the airport and board.

Zayn, Shawn and Justin already know that I'll be leaving Miami and fly to Boston for God knows how long. I told them during the funeral and they told me that they are bummed that I won't be around for so long. As much as I want to stay here, I can't. I have to put my sister first. She need to be in a surgery before her leukemia gets worst. I can't lose her, not her too.

I take a deep breaths and lean my back on the kitchen counter. I dig my phone in my pocket, I unlock it and saw that I have a lot of missed calls, several texts and two voicemails coming from Lauren.

Lauren. Shit. I haven't seen her for almost a week now, she still doesn't know about what happened to my mom.

I listened to one of her voicemail that she sent the day my mom died. I felt myself shiver when I heard her husky voice ringed through my ears.

"Hey, babe. It looks like you're really busy today. You haven't come over yet and it's almost noon. But if you have some time, call me back. I miss you," I heard the line went silent, I thought her voicemail was over but my girlfriend started talking again. "Actually, Y/N... I'm kinda nervous." She breathed out. "I got a call from my dad and he told me that someone wants to give their eyes to me. And I have to hope and pray that this is it." I don't know if she have any idea that it was my mom's eye that was donated just for her. "Isn't terrible? If I get what I want, that means someone has to lose their life. Just to make sure that this time the donor won't change their mind, I have to wish for them to die. And I actually hate myself for being like this, for thinking this way towards others." I heard her sniffle and I know that she's crying. I know she didn't mean to be like that, she just really want to see again. I totally understand where she's coming from. "But Y/N, I know at least you could never hate me even if I'm being selfish at this moment right?" I nodded my head even if she can't see me and this message of her was recorded. "The if you do, then would be a million times worse than never being able to see ever again." She said. "You will never hate me, right? Come over when you can. I miss you," Then the line went dead.

Then I started to play the next voicemail, "Hey, Y/N. I really don't know what's happening to you right now. It's been seven days," She sighed and added, "But I have good news for you. It turns out that the eye donor didn't back out. And now, I'll be having my surgery today." I can hear the smile on her lips. "I still feel like I'm dreaming. I really can't believe that this is happening." She said. "I'm on my way to the hospital right now. I'm scared and afraid. But everytime I'm thinking of you, and telling myself that you will be waiting for me outside, I'm less scared." Then I heard someone calling for her. "Hey, Lucy is here now. Wish me luck." Then the voicemail ended.

I stared at my phone and saw that her voicemail was twenty minutes ago. I zoned out for almost an hour, I don't know if I should tell Lauren that my mom died and the eyes that will be transferring to her will be my mom's. I know she will be devastated. I snap out of my daze and tell myself I should go to the hospital for Lauren.