Chapter 44

Lauren's POV

I shifted uncomfortably at the dining chair inside this fancy restaurant that Dr. Liz Hemmings told me to meet her. I actually don't know why she called me and just straight away said that the two of us should talk. I don't have to guess what we're going to talk about because I know for sure it's about her son, my ex-fiancé, Luke Hemmings.

Now, she's right in front of me and staring at me blankly. I don't know if Luke already told her but I hope he did.

It's been two days since the star gazing date that Y/N and I had. It was so much fun considering that we actually slept in this time inside the tent she built.

I slowly glance up and saw Mrs. Hemmings staring back at me. "Um, Mrs. Hemmings, are you okay?" I asked her and she seemed to snaps out of her thoughts.

She lightly shakes her head and forces a smile. "Pardon? Oh yeah yeah. I'm okay." The mother of my ex-fiancé cleared her throat before speaking up again. "I doted on you so much when you were little. Do you remember that?"

I gave her a warm smile before answering, "Of course,"

Actually, the Hemmings are one of those very familiar faces to me aside from the Vives. I've always seen Dr. Liz Hemmings, her son, Luke and sometimes her husband is paying a visit to her work before but now, Luke's dad is so busy at his business work. I've always seen them at the hospital way back when I was still a kid and I still have my eyesight.

They are actually one of our good family friends. My mom and Luke's mom are so close with each other. Sometimes they wanted us to have dinner to our house or their house. So, when Luke asked me out on a date, I said yes because I know him already and I know he will never hurt me. And when I thought that he will be the one to replace my first heartbreak from my first love, I said yes to him when he asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. But that was one of my biggest mistake in my life, saying yes to Luke when he asked me to be his bride. I chose to be with him before because he's safe, because I know him and not because I love him. I was so hurt when Y/N went away without telling me, and he was the one who was there to pick up all the pieces of my shattered heart but I broke his, many years later.

"I've always wanted a daughter like you," Liz's voice ringed through my ears brought me back to reality. "You have no idea how jealous and envious I was of your mother. So when you and Luke were still little and playing with each other, I half-jokingly and half-seriously asked your parents to be in-laws." She sighed happily and I can't help but feel
bad. She still doesn't know? Why didn't Luke told her?

I take deep breath before fumbling with my fingers that's resting on the table. It has been a month or so when I told Luke that he will never own the front seat of my heart, I even told him that I can't accept the house that he asked to be built for our future family. And it has been four or five days when I made it clearly to him that I can't marry him. I cannot believe that he didn't even fill his mom about our realtionship and that our wedding has been called off.

"I can't believe that the two of you will make it happen. You're going to be my daughter soon." She beamed and added, "A person's fate is really really mysterious... I really believed that, seeing that you and Luke, the two of you will marry each other. I believed that."

"Mrs. Hemmings... I–"

"Can I ask you a question?" She cuts me off immediately. I nodded my head at her and she asks, "Do you love Luke?" Her question made my body stiffen. I hate being asks those kind of question because I don't know how she will react if I said, no.

I didn't even got the chance to answer her question when she started talking again. "You know, watching the two of you for several years... I felt something. I know my son, Luke loves you. Even though he is my off-spring I must admit that he is so head over heels for you, almost to the point of being foolish, and it's cute... because he doesn't see anyone but you." She pause for a second before continuing, "But I don't think it's the same for you. I don't think you love him as much as he loves you. Am I wrong or am I being delusional?"