Chapter 26

I take some deep breaths before knocking on the wooden door of Lauren and Luke's apartment. My shift just ended thirty minutes ago and I've been standing outside their loft for almost five minutes now. "This is a just a dinner, okay? Don't be fucking pussy and back up. All you have to do is... sit down, eat, talk and pretend that you're happy that the love of your life is happy with someone else. Just pretend that you like them as a couple. And you hate Lauren's guts, that's what you've been doing to her for the past few weeks, I know it's not going to be hard this time." I keep telling myself. "Contain your jealousy to yourself. Time will go by so fast and before you know it, the dinner with Lauren and Luke, it will over in just a snap." I muttered to myself.

After my free medical check up in the orpahanage this morning, Lauren told me that Luke was inviting for a dinner with them. I was so hesitant to say yes because I don't want to see the two of them together. I don't want to witness and see how Luke can make the love of my life, happy. But I also don't want to turn down Luke's offer, since I feel bad for leaving their place the first time I got here.

I knock on the door three times as I tap my foot on the floor, patiently waiting for someone to open it for me. As the door swings open, I saw the blonde Aussie standing in front of me with a smile on his face. "Dr. Y/NN! I'm so glad you made it, mate." He pulls me for a quick hug and a pat on my shoulder.

"Yeah," I force a smile.

"Come in," He step aside and let me walk inside his apartment. "Lauren is just preparing our table. She's inside the kitchen," The neuro surgeon told me. I nod my head and we both enter their kitchen area. I can see the green-eyed woman placing three plates on the table and some wine glasses.

"You're actually just in time," Luke said as he pull a chair for his fiancée, Lauren thanked him and kiss his cheeks. I take a seat across of him, I can feel the Cuban looking at me but decided to ignore her.

Luke pops the red wine bottle open and pours in our glass. "Now, once again... Welcome to mine and Lauren's apartment." The blue eyed-man said and chuckles lightly. He raises his glass and clicks it to mine then Lauren's.

I slowly look up to the Cuban's spot, I know she's internally debating whether she wanted to toast with me or not. I just gave her a slight nod and she returns it while forcing a smile. "I'm really glad that you're here." Luke beamed as he take a sip on his red wine and I did the same. "It has been awhile since I tried cooking again." He slides a plate with a lasagna on it. "Please, try this."

I slice the lasagna and place it in my mouth. "It's delicious," I complimented the dish that Luke made. "It looks like you're more comfortable at cooking." I pointed out.

"It's my hobby. Thanks to Lauren, I suppose." He said and ruffle his fiancée's hair. "I'm always making sure that this kid would eat, so I got better while struggling to learn on my own."

Lauren look up from her plate and glance at the Aussie. "Why are you using me as an excuse? You and I both know that you enjoy cooking the most."

The doctor chuckles and nod his head. "That's true. I relieve the stress from performing surgery by cooking at home. I think I could have become a chef rather than a doctor." Luke said. "Y/NN, was being a doctor always your dream?"

I lightly shake my head no and put another slice of lasagna in my mouth. "No, when I was a child, my dream was to be a rescue worker." My answer made Lauren's head jolt up. I can feel her eyes burning on the side of my head. But I didn't dare to look back at her. My gaze is still in my food as I answered Luke's question.

"Really? That's unexpected and really interesting." The blonde Aussie said as he started chewing his food. "Did you know that our Leader Lauren Jauregui, also lived out someone's else dream than hers, you know." I glance up and saw Luke ruffle the Cuban's hair before placing his arm on Lauren's shoulder.