Chapter 47

I got a call from Dr. Jauregui this morning, he told me to take a day off and went to our usual spot in the lake. It's been two days since Lauren showed up in front of my apartment door, crying her eyes out. And I haven't talked to her since yesterday when I told her to talk to his dad. I wonder how it goes.

Dr. Jauregui also said to me that he wanted to tell me something important and well... I hope he's going to tell me what really happened between him and his daughter. I still didn't got any answer from the green-eyed woman so I hope it's the exact opposite from Mike.

I squint my eyes as I can feel the ray of sun blinding my eyes. I move a little bit closer to Lauren's dad since his place doesn't get blinded from the sun.

I take a deep breath as I admire the view that's right in front of us. I've always wanted to hang out at this place, it's so quiet and so calm. I look at the fishing rod I place near the lake water, hoping to catch some fish before this day ends.

My grasp on my cold beer is never loosing. I fiddle with the mouth of the bottle and slowly take a glance at Lauren's dad. He take a swig on his beer and sighs. "I found out that you're drinking a lot of hard liquor everyday," He looks at me confusingly, silently asking where the fuck did I found out. "I heard it from your daughter, Lauren."

Dr. Jauregui nods his head and speak up, "Y/N, when you know to yourself that you're old, then that means there aren't many days left in your life, so just enjoy it before you die." He reasoned out then he chug down his beer and grab another one inside the cooler.

"I know but still... I wish you could take care of your health properly." I sighed and take another look on him. "You and I both know that you don't have a very healthy heart."

Well, yeah it's true. When we were in Boston, I rushed him at the hospital when he told me that his chest is hurting so much. Then later on, we found out that he have a hole on his heart. So, I'm scared because anytime, if he didn't stop drinking alcoholic beverages and the stress in his work or whatever will come up to him, he might have a cardiac arrest. I don't want that to happen to him. I cannot lose him too. I don't know what will happen to the three of us if he dies. He is the only parent that I have right now. The only one that Lauren, Hailee and I have.

Dr. Jauregui chuckled dryly and said, "You sure do remember such unimportant thing."

"To be honest, I haven't forgotten a single thing about you." I started and turn my eyes to look at the lake again. "The time you surprised Hailee and I during our first Thanksgiving in Boston. You cooked the turkey and mashed potato and you even grilled a barbeque for us." I smile at the memories that my sister and I had with him.

I keep my gaze on the lake that's in front of us and continued, "I also remember the first time you took me to watch the first major league with you." I stop for a second before adding, "And how could I forget? On my graduation day, you were happier than me. We sure do had a lot of memories together and I hope you didn't forget one of those." I breathed out heavily and said, "But Papa, all those happy memories that we had before, what matter the most is now." I can see from the corner of my eyes that Dr. Jauregui is staring at me. "This very moment that we are sitting in these folding chairs, with a small cooler in between us. Drinking beers in broad daylight. And waiting for the fishes to bite our rods." I turn my head to look at him and said, "It's really important to me. And I still want to have more days like this with you. Or better yet, one day Lauren will join us." I muttered to myself the last line. He looks at me quizzically. Good thing that he didn't catch what I had just said. Then I quickly cleared my throat and added, "And you better stay healthy, okay? So we can go fishing for a very long time."