; Carly

"I think Wes is throwing a party next weekend," I say into my phone as I throw my shoes off. "Almost as a back-to-school get together."

"Really?" Jaclyn's slightly muffled voice comes through.

"Yeah. Anyone who wants to come can come."

"Will there be drinks?" Jaclyn's voice is teasing but mischievous, and I can imagine her smirking. I chuckle softly and grin.

"Maybe." I don't normally endorse underage drinking, but as long as Jaclyn stays safe I think it's okay. Besides, I'm a sucker for cherry-flavored alcoholic soda.

"I'm gonna see if Daithi wants to go. He never does anything on weekends besides play Gmod," Jaclyn says. "I swear to God, the next time he cancels any plans to play Death Run I am going to snap his neck."

"I feel you girl," I shake my head in amusement, thinking of Evan yelling at his computer. I hear Jaclyn sigh from the other end through my phone.

"Well, I have to go. I still have that paper to write about the summer. See ya."

"See ya." I hang up and put my phone down on my desk.

----

The next day are sign-ups for volleyball tryouts. I sign my name just below Mae's, on the A-Team list for third-years. The two of us have been playing since third grade, as her mom used to play for an actual team in college and wanted to pass on the skills.

As for me, I just play because I need to play a sport. Plus it's fun when the guys come to the games to cheer us on. All of the girls I know that play are super nice to everyone.

"I hope we both make it this year," Mae says absentmindedly as we make our way towards the library. "I mean, you're like the official MVP, and all of the B-Team girls can really get me on edge sometimes." I nod slowly.

"You'll make it," I say confidently, smiling down at her (she's about three inches shorter than me) and lightly nudging her with my elbow. "In my eyes, you're the official MVP." She grins.

----

When we get to the library, Jon is already being whisper-yelled at by a librarian. Mae and I pretend to be looking at books until the lady goes away. When she does, the entire group is suppressing giggles. I sit down next to Tyler, who is doing all of his homework.

I roll my eyes. "You know, it wouldn't do any harm to actually do some of the work at home." Tyler glances up at me and smirks.

"My grandma always needs me to help her with work stuff," he says. "And I'm a fast worker." Jon chuckles.

"Does 'work stuff' include three hours of Super Smash Bros?" He says, earning a glare from Tyler.

"You wanna shuch up, Delirious?"

Jon starts laughing loudly at the inside joke and grins madly at the mention of his nickname. I smile at the two of them, then turn my attention to a pink-haired dork walking into the library. I stand up immediately and walk over to where he is.

"You want to sit with us?" I ask Craig, who jumps at the sound of my voice. He looks at me for a second, then a small smile takes over his face.

"That's the first time you've actually asked me to join you guys without just dragging me around," he says jokingly. I chuckle softly then motion for him to follow me. Surprisingly, he follows me to the back of the library, where my spot still remains empty. I take the only seat left (that isn't next to Tyler), which is next to Mae. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Craig slowly slide into the seat next to Tyler.

Internal squealing commences.

Jon waves to Craig, who smiles and gives him a small nod before taking out a book.

"New kid?" Jon whispers to me. I nod. He grins. "I like his hair."

----

wow this was a long one for this book lmao

~ tay