; Craig

History is as boring as ever. Mr. Modak (or, as everyone calls him, Garry) just plays a documentary of John F. Kennedy's presidency, which means we skipped an entire unit of history right away.

The documentary is just starting to get into the election when a small ball of paper lands on my desk. I roll my eyes, expecting it to be one of Adam's spit balls, and keep watching the projected screen.

"Pssst."

I whip my head up rapidly, looking around.

"Over here you dingus."

I look to my left, seeing Tyler grinning mischievously.

"Open the damn paper," he whispers. I raise an eyebrow and turn my attention to the small crumpled ball. I feel Tyler's gaze on me as I open it and smooth it out. A few words are scrawled out on the paper.

Garry is asleep.

I turn around and look to Mr. Modak's desk and, sure enough, the old history teacher is fast asleep. I smile and suppress a laugh. Looking back to Tyler, I see that he has his phone out, aimed at Mr. Modak. A loud click is heard from the phone when he takes a picture, and Tyler starts laughing softly. The rest of the class lift their heads up and face his direction, then turn to the back of the room. A few people start chuckling, and it slowly grows to the point where no one is even watching the documentary anymore.

Finally, the laughter subsides and it's quiet again in the classroom. I look down once more to the note Tyler threw at me, and turn it over. I take out my pen and write:

He looks like Gandalf a little bit.

I ball the paper back up and throw it at Tyler. He opens it and looks back at Mr. Modak again. Tyler's smile grows, and starts laughing even harder than before. Suddenly, the most amazing sound escapes his mouth:

HEEEEEE!

WHEEEEEE!

He's wheezing. Oh my God. I find it so funny that I start doing my weird mixed-accented laugh. Soon enough we're both dying of laughter, Tyler wheezing and me hiccuping with laughs.

Suddenly, a gravelly, tired voice interrupts our fits of laughter.

"WILDE! THOMPSON!" Mr. Modak barks, quieting us in an instant. "I wonder what the two of you find so funny about J.F.K's most famous speech?" He looks back and forth between the two of us, then sees the small slip of paper on Tyler's desk. Mr. Modak marched up to Tyler and whips the note off his desk, reading both sides. He finally looks down at us and quietly walks back to his desk.

"Both of you are getting two days of detentions after school, for today and tomorrow," Mr. Modak calls from the back of the room. Any sort of amusement drains from me, as I remember that I'm scheduled to visit my mom today.

"For the rest of class you two are to stay silent, do you understand?" I nod slowly, as does Tyler. Mr. Modak goes back to his desk, mumbling something about Gandalf.

Thankfully, the bell rings two minutes later.

----
fuckin thugs passing notes in class

~ tay