Chapter 17 - Scars Worth Loving

Goal: 38 reads & 28 votes

   This Is kind of a long chapter... Just to let ya know (Word Count: 2014)😱 I've written more than that though... anyways, enjoy! 😜

It seemed like hours. Days. Months.

It seemed as if a whole year flew by in only five minutes. I couldn't help but take my time cleaning up his wounds. I savored every minute I spent with him now because who knows when he will be gone again.

Keith said not a single and nor did I, we cherished the comfortable silence. His hands were blood-free now and were wrapped up to keep them from being infected.

Its funny because last year, I was in his position. He pulled out the glass as I waited patently. My hands have scared from that experience, but I will forever hold it close in my heart because that day, that very special day was the start of our journey. And I don't know how he feels about it, but I will forever look back on that moment in time and always be thankful for it happening; if it didn't, who knows where Keith and I would stand today. I guess it was just fate for it to happen, but fate really does have an odd way of putting one with the other, doesn't it?

I stood up, after soaking a new rag once again, the last one was completely stained in pink and red spots. This time, I grabbed a blue rag from under the cabinets in my cloth set - where I keep all of my towels.

I began to clean the skid marks and cuts on Keith's cheek, careful not to hurt him on accident. His beautiful brown eyes stayed trained on me, watching me closely.

It was kind of awkward, but I liked it in a sense. It made me... I don't know what you might call it. Maybe anxious with a mix of jitteriness. I haven't received a gaze such as his in so long, it was good to receive it now and be reminded what it once felt like.

"There, now their all cleaned." I lightly say, I even startled myself with my own tone; since the room was previously so quiet and peaceful.

"Thank you."

I send him a smile and stride toward my hamper which was set aside from the bathroom door. Dropping in the wet towel, I turned on my heel, only to see a rip in the back of his shirt. A gash was showing through the rip, bright red. There was raw skin surrounding the perimeter.

I sighed quietly to myself. I swear, Bennett got him cut, battered, and bruised about everywhere on the top half of his body. But the one strange thing was that Keith didn't even seemed fazed by it. In fact, It was like he didn't even know it was there, that it wasn't present, that his skin wasn't even tore open at all.

I trotted quietly over to his back, he was still facing away from me, completely clueless that I was now behind him. Involuntarily, my finger rises and starts to trace the rip, his white dress shirt was defiantly toast now.

When Keith feels my light pads of my fingers, he jumps a little bit because of my sudden presence again.

"Sorry." I whisper.

   He just shakes his head, and continues to stare down at the floor, like he wasn't even here in the moment. Like his brain was somewhere other than here.

   "Are you alright?" I softly say, not wanting to scare him again. I've noticed over the past thirty six hours I've been with him, that he's been really jumpy, he wants to say something, I know he does. But he keeps his mouth shut, not opening it a smudge, his younger caught in a knot.

   "Yeah." He bluntly states. I just let it go, he's obviously not here, thinking and doing somewhere else in that mind of his.

   In the meantime, I focus my time on the gash that has bled everywhere on his back, well at least to where I can see through the fabric of the shirt. It needs to be tidied up, but I don't want to ask the awkward question. The question that I never want to ask, but I try to anyway.