Chapter 23 - Enduring Pain

Keith's POV

     I sit there, my hands clenched around the steering wheel with a shearing force that turns my knuckles white. Memories of what he said to me come flooding into my mind, washing away all of the good memories from today.

   I scream on top of my lungs, banging my hands over and over again into the steering wheel. My hands are throbbing, but I don't care. There's only one pain that bothers me, and it's the pain knowing that she's gone, that Walker now has her.

   And it's all my fault. There's nothing I can do to stop these things from happening now.

   I rest my head on the steering wheel, gathering the broken pieces of my brain back together, getting myself ready to drive. Drive to David's house, to where Adam was, to where the traitor was...

***

    The cars are all parked neatly in a line in front of the house. I just arrived here twenty minutes ago, and I still haven't gotten out of the car yet. I don't think I was ready to without being reminded that I am alone. Alone because of my stupidity.

    who knows what Walker could be doing right this instant. Who knows where Jay is. but the only thing I know is that she's with him and it's all my fault.

   I should have just helped with the bags instead of sitting in the dang car, I should have just loaded them myself, then we wouldn't be in this mess.

   Finally, it seems like another hour goes by and I decide to get out of the car. To step foot on the gravel where Jay and I once stood. Where we once ran and protected one another from the airborne glass shards. Those days seemed so distant, but so close at the same time, like I could just reach it and grasp it, refusing to let it go.

   Refusing to surrender and abandon it, like it feels like I did with Jay when I left. I didn't call nor text her because I didn't want Walker to pick up any trace to her. I did everything in my will power to protect Jay, but in the end, it was me who exposed her although I vowed to myself to always keep her safe and out of harms way. Now, she's no where but within the hands of the monster himself.

   I stride toward the door, trying to forget everything, trying to push it free from my mind. The lights are off and the blinds, curtains, and shutters are all closed shut, completely sealed from the outside world.

    They must be having dinner or something, because out of the two and a half years I've lived here, I remember that Jo-Je always insisted on closing all curtains in the house - to prevent any distractions. It was kind of smart, but over the course of a few months, it got really, really annoying.

   I placed a soft knock on the door, trying so hard to keep in the screams and pain that I'm now feeling constantly when I move my body every which way. Not even a minute later, the door swings open and I'm welcome to the familiar faces of Jo-Je, Adam and the rest of the orphans in the background. Caitlyn was standing off to the side while Eli was on the adjacent side of her.

   Will wasn't there because he still is at the apartment, I knew that as a fact because before Jay and I left for that mall, him and Thomas were in the kitchen hanging out, doing whatever it is they do to entertain themselves at that boring apartment.

   "Keith?" Jo-Je questions, making sure that it's actually me.

   I look up and meet the eyes of my old 'family'. Though I really never saw them as that. They were only close friends who took me in and were willing to help me, thats why I fell in love with Jay, because I didn't see her as family, but a very close friend. And she was always the one to help me or comfort me when I needed it, even before we were together she did this.

   "Oh Keith, what happened?" Jo-Je questions, pulling my arm and tugging me inside. She takes me into a tight embrace and I bury my face into her shoulder. I literally have to hunch my back over to hug Jo-Je, she's like 5'4 while I'm 6'2.

   "It's good to see you again." She whispers to me, her soft voice comforting me.

   "You too."

   She pulls away, then I'm taken into yet another embrace, this time with my brother. Then I shortly make my way around, greeting all the familiar faces of those who've made up my fake temporary 'family'. I hugged Caitlyn and Eli, both saying 'hello' and 'we've missed you'.

   Honestly it was good to be back here, it took away the pain that was eating away at my chest, my heart.

   I pull away from everyone, and stare at their gazes. Each one had a look of sorrow or confusion, the ones with sorrowful faces looked at me with sympathy, as if they could tell what happened to me just by first glance. Those with confused glances, which was Eli and Caitlyn, tried their best not to show it, but I saw it clearly in their eyes.

    "I'm here b-because," why am I even here? I don't even know myself, but I can't go back to that apartment unless I want to break even more, which I don't. That apartment is covered in her scent and she is everywhere in there. Pictures, decorations, even her room would make me break down and do things I might regret later.

   The thought crossed my mind, about that threat Walker told me about tonight. He said that I convince everyone that Jay broke up with me and left me, though that would be kind of hard. But knowing that the traitor is somewhere near, I can't tell them the truth, unless I really wanted to hurt Jay, which I don't. And I never ever will.

   I try again with my sentence. "I-I'm here because Jay broke up with me, and I have no where to stay. Is it okay if I stay here for a little while?"

   I don't get a response, instead I get looks of all sorts of shocked and sorrowful glances.

   I lied.

   I lied to them.

   All because I was told to...

   By him.

   By Walker.

_______

   Just to let you know, you WILL find out who the traitor is in just a few chapters.

   Any guesses to whom it might be? I wont tell you if you're right or wrong though, I don't want to spoil it. But I just want to hear your thoughts - well more like read them, but you know...

    Anyways, Vote, Comment, Share, Follow, and Enjoy!

   HAPPY READING!

   ~AlexisJadeS22

    🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔