Chapter 37 - The Hospital

"Where're going to the hospital."

I feel my heart stop in my chest. I don't think I'm ready to see what I'm imagining in seeing. I dont want to face him, not yet. Im afraid that my emotions my take over and I might do something that I will highly regret.

   David swung into the parking lot, the huge building in front stood tall, making me anxious. I know he's there, in on of those rooms. As much as I want to take him in my arms and kiss him as if there was no tomorrow, I can't.

   It will take some time to heal, the thing that hurt most was that he was the reason I lost my mother. He's the reason I lost hope, but it's not all his fault, it's Walker's. He was controlling Keith, with that device. telling Keith what to do, and he did them.

   Every time I thought of it, a certain pain struck deep in my chest, in my heart, where I will never let go of him, though there is things crowding around it that might make it all slip away.

***

   There's patients everywhere. Some were in wheel chairs and some were dressed in informal clothes with tissues near by. I can't imagine why they're here...

  which brings me to the thought of why I'm here, I desperately hope that it was just Keith in that car... My guess was that he was heading to NanoTech...to me, but then something happened. Someone hit him, making his car spin out of control.

   But I don't know the whole story, yet. But I really don't want to know the whole thing either. Everything that has happened over the course of one week and everything that I've learned has been hard to swallow. And this happening when it did was hard to cope with.

   We walked casually to the front desk, where a woman in a suit sat, taking phone calls and writing down different notes and numbers on the paper.

   I can't imagine what these people are going through. I turn my head in every direction, only to be welcomed with the sight of someone or multiple someones crying. Crying all of the pain and hurt they are experiencing, hoping that it will get better soon.

   I would be like them right now, but right now, I can't.

   It hurts.

   It hurts too much.

   "Hi, yes can you tell me which room Keith Parker is staying in." David asks politely to the woman.

   I was still getting used to the fact that now everywhere he goes, he's known as Keith Parker. Last year, he was Keith Newman, but since he's been gone, away from me for nine months, I assume that he's learned a lot about himself from Sandra...

   I wish I was able to do that...don't even think about it!

   "He's in room 132, down the hall and to your left." She stood up and motioned her hand to a hallway that was build adjacent to where we stood. The threshold was empty, no one was crowded around it like the other hallways that branched off from the main lobby of the hospital.

   "Come on."

   I nod and follow David, falling in step behind him as we both paced to the room. My legs felt as if they were connected to dumbbells, each step I took was more painful than the previous one. My feet ached as I got closer and closer to the destination.

   I tried to push away all the negative memories out of the way, but they keep coming back, taunting me, torturing me with the cold, hard truth. The truth that was almost too hard to believe, and to think, when Walker was telling me about her and how she was in jail and was supposed to get released this year, I knew there was a catch. But I was too stupid and naive to the fact that he was lying to me. He was telling me the things he did so that the truth would hurt worse.

   Worse than it already does, and... it worked.

   It was eating me up inside. I felt as if I was stuck in a cage that was impossible to escape. I was trapped beside with the real answers of why I am who I am and how I got to where I am. And yet, I still don't know my true identity besides my real name - Scarlett Davis.

    I was interrupted from my thoughts when David took a soft hold of my arm, slowing my feet to a stop, saving me from running into a wall.

   I'm so gullible.

   "Okay, I'll go in first."

   I nodded, staring at the red and blue tiled floor, as if I've never seen such an extraordinary of a thing before in my lifetime. I didn't want to look up to David, where he towers over me because I didn't want to loose it and start balling uncontrollably.

   I walk over to an empty seat, which I could have chose many more due to the fact that the hallway was a void, no one nor anything was bustling in and out of hospital rooms. No doctors came scurrying to a room, their white coat flapping in the air as they ran urgently to the aid of someone in need.

   It was just me... and only me.

   Well, that was until a familiar face came out of Keith's room, Will. He stood tall. He wore ripped jeans and a sweatshirt, his hair was windswept and messy. Obviously, he came here in a rush because of the way his tired eyes stared deeply into mine.

  The next thing I know, I'm engulfed into his arms, pressing my body close to his.

   "How're you holding up?"

   That's when I break, the tears come streaming down my cheeks in a cascade, my body felt cold, empty, deprived of it's warmth that it needed.

   "N-Not good." I sob.

   He strokes my greasy and matted down hair, "it'll be alright. The doctor said he had two broken ribs and an arm and leg, and he hit his head hard on the metal, so he has a concussion. But he said that there were no vital organs damaged as they could have been. He was very lucky to have survived Jay."

   "I know." I sob, refusing to lift my head from where I buried it deep into the crook of his neck.

   We just stood there, Will trying his hardest to comfort me, and it worked, though memories of Keith and I's past flood my mind.

  I cant imagine life without him.

   That is why I can't stay mad forever, whats done is done, and there's nothing I can do to change it.

  I'm just one very lucky girl to still have the love of her life, when others aren't so fortunate.

   I'm just so lucky to have him.

   To still be with him.

   And I will always cherish our love.

  For it is my everything.

__________