30. Rejoice

It's cold.

His bare skin exposed and his face covered.

All he can see is darkness.

What a world to live in.

Where the living were feared more than the dead.

Exhaustion consuming his body, eating it apart like a rat infesting a corpse.

Barely sitting straight in the chair anymore, slouching here and there, attempting to get rest, but a fear of what's to dream doesn't allow for sleep.

So he stays up. Struggling to stay alive.

A warmth seeks his body, the light seping through the holes of the woven bag.

His hearing was off, a ringing being repeated over and over as if it were recorded and placed inside his head.

Something uncovers the bag from his head, but his vision is blurry.

A figure stands in front of him, but he can't seem to make a face out. Squinting his eyes, he can tell it's a male figure. The man then puts Harry's arm over his shoulders, making Harry stand up. He winces in pain since he hasn't stood up in a very long time.

As he gets dragged out, the light burns him a bit. Squinting his eyes and letting them adjust to the sun. He can't seem to pick his head up any further, so he slouches. Then, feels something pick him up and gripping even tighter.

It's after a few minutes that Harry can finally look up, he's set onto a chair. The man walks away and all Harry can see is his built backside. As he squints, he observes the area, noticing he's in a house. He's sat on a chair next to a bed. When he tries to stand up, he grips onto the sides of the chair and slightly pushes up. He manages to get on his feet, but loses his balance and tips over, falling onto the bed. Wincing in pain, he groans against the sheets. 

"Careful, don't wanna hurt yourself," the voice warns. A familiar voice. 

Harry manages to tilt his head the slightest bit towards the voice, only to be shocked at the man that stands before him. His feathered hair dragging itself across his face, eyes a dark shade of brown, his body built and his facial hair down to a scruff. 

"Zayn?" Harry ask, confused as to how he got here, but nonetheless very happy to see him. 

"Nice to see you too Harry," he replies, moving towards the bed and helping Harry get into a sitting position, his back against the back of the bed frame. Harry clenches his stomach in pain as he moves and squints his eyes at the pain coming from his lower region. 

"Harry..." Zayn begins, a concerning look on his face. 

Harry looks up to the man, the tears begin to stream down, its been so long since he's seen an old, trusting face. Zayn was quiet back then, kept to himself a lot. But to see him now, for him to save Harry from that monster of a shed was a miracle. 

"What happened?" He finally ask. 

Harry tilts his head down, but he forces himself to tell Zayn everything. The type of man that runs this place, what he does to innocent people, the inhumane trading that Zayn was a part of, he also mentioned the fact that Louis may be somewhere near.  

Zayn listened intently, not liking whoever this Luke person was. He also explained how when the group split up, Zayn attempted to head North, thinking the weather might slow the walkers down. But he didn't make it far, he met this group who called themselves 'the sanctuary', but all of it was a bunch of bullshit. Zayn was never big on groups, which is why he left the group in the first place, but he was running low on supplies, so the sanctuary promised him resources, and then he could leave. Instead, they attacked him right when he entered the gates, scavenging all of his supplies and throwing him in a cage like an animal, only to be traded to Luke for innocent woman.