Chapter 15: Framed with Rubies

What was he doing?

He had said that he was going in to get the kids ready and yet here he was washing the dishes instead. He was just all out of sorts. He paused and looked up towards the ceiling. What was that back there? Why did he say that? And those voices. He felt a connection to them but the thought was just absurd! A connection to disembodied voices?! Was he going insane? Had he finally snapped?

"Jin?"

He looked over his shoulder to see Mi-Rae standing there and he broke into a small smile. "Oh hey Mi-Rae. Hope you had enjoyed the food"

"I did..." She gave a nod and took her place next to him and reached for a towel and began drying the dampened plates. "We didn't get much of an opportunity to talk today. How have things been? Namjoon, said you were trying to save up money for your own place"

"Yeah, but it's been a bit of a struggle. I've been considering robbing a bank" He joked as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"Stealing is never the answer to your problems, Jin..." She placed one of the dishes in the rack and eyed the male from the corner of her eye before speaking again. "You tend to wear a lot of pink every time I see you..."

By reflex, Jin peered down at his pink polo shirt and tugged lightly at the collar before letting out a light chuckle. "Yeah, pretty strange right? Since I was a child I always held a strange fascination for the color..." Many of the other boys in school had thought it was strange for a boy to like such a hue. He had tried diverting his favorite to the color blue, but it just never felt right.

"Really... It's been the opposite for me..." She began to rub away harder at the plastic bowl in her hands.

"I had always found pink to be a disgusting color."

Jin's eyes slowly lifted his eyes but kept his line of sight on the soap infested  sink in front of him

Jin's eyes slowly lifted his eyes but kept his line of sight on the soap infested  sink in front of him. Briefly, lines formed between his brow. For some reason he felt a sense of hostility in Mi-Rae's voice and it made him feel slightly uncomfortable. But her tone had changed just as quickly.

"But that was just my preference. I grew up as a bit of a tomboy. I'm more into the gold color. To me its more...regal..."

That was weird. Maybe he had been imagining things? "Oh...."

"Hey, how about I handle the rest of these dishes? I think the kids are in Namjoon's room and Ajumma's sleeping in there. They might wake her..."

"Thanks Mi-Rae..." Still looking a bit puzzled and unsure, he turned and made his way out of the kitchen.

Mi-Rae's eyes followed him, a deep frown on her face and once he was out of sight, she threw the towel down unto the counter.

------------------------------------------------