•thirty•

~~

   My book bag stays slung over my shoulder and I travel into the school.
   Like any other day, people are whispering throughout the halls.
I turn around my lock to put in the combination, it opens smoothly. Throwing in my book bag, I slam the door.

   My footsteps drag against the floor as I make my way to home room. The lights above shine bright in my eyes and I almost stumble over.
   I grip onto my binder so it doesn't drop. My math book starts to slide over my arm but I catch it in time.

"Need some help?" A quiet voice says.

   I turn around to see the same girl who has been walking past my house.

"No, I'm fine." The book falls back into place. "You're new here." I add.

"Yeah, it's my first day. Is it obvious?" She says before turning around, "I'm going to be late, see you around."

   I don't have the chance to say goodbye or even to catch her name.
   Her hair flames behind her and her footsteps fall perfectly smooth against the ground.

   I walk into home room and take my seat next to Justin. He writes his name at the top of his notes as he glances at me.
   He stops writing and looks up towards the teacher who almost always has a smile on her face. The teacher starts explaining tonight's assignment.
   Justin keeps glancing at me with a sad expression.

"Dude what's up?" I whisper and nudge his shoulder.
   He sets his pencil down and turns to me as the teacher walks out of the room. He shrugs dismissively.

"I--um--wanted to say sorry about yelling at you," he pauses, "Tony told me what happened and I saw the student council posters about drunk driving. I'm really sorry about Matt."

   But he knew about Matt. Why is he saying that? Why does he care now?