•thirty-eight•

I take a fork and twirl it around my trey.

"Alex," Tony says, sitting across from me.

"Hm?" My mouth barely moves, I'm so focused on the fork.

"Are you okay?" There it is again.

That question.

That seriously difficult question.

The one you don't know whether to lie to or breakdown in public to explain what's wrong.

Ugh.

That damned question.

"Yes, I'm doing alright. Better than I was, I guess." I wasn't lying, fully anyways.

"Okay. Good." He screws around with his tray.

   Starting to poke my tray with my fork, I prop my feet up onto my toes and tense up.

"Yeah, it's just everyone in school is still giving me a hard time about Matt, saying it's my fault." I stop to look up at him, "I'm kinda just done with it, you know?"

   It feels nice to talk about it with someone, honestly.

"I'm not in your position so I don't know, but I can imagine. It must suck. Sorry." Tony says while scooting his tray over to the side.

   In front of me is a notebook, filled with random things, thoughts mostly, drawings, sketches.
   I click around the pen. People around us chat and rush around with their own food.

"Look at them." I look around, "They're so...not involved with anything, they're...n-normal." I stutter out.

"You still are, Alex, there's nothing wrong with you." He says, lifting his drink, giving me a cold look.

"I'm starting to think otherwise."