Chapter Five - The Golden Trio

July of 1938, London, England, United Kingdom

———————————————————————————

The Golden Trio!

Since the three eldest Kennedy children arrived in London this season has been made especially nice by their charming American personas, with Kathleen Kennedy being dubbed "The Debutante of 1938".

———————————————————————————

Or so the newspapers say, but the story of "The Golden Trio" traces back to May of that year, with one step...

May 1938

Jack sits in a chair, Kick stands beside him, smiling and cheering him on.

"Come on Jack! I know you can do this."

Jack sighs and begins to try and lift himself up. He struggles and his arms look considerably stronger than they did a month ago. He groans as he collapses back into the chair. Kick's smile disappears, and suddenly the front door opens and Joe Jr. walks in. He can tell that Jack has just failed another attempt at walking. He moves to leave, but stops. Suddenly he turns around, Kick looks at him, wondering what he's planning to do. Jack looks back at Joe Jr., just as curious as Kick.

Suddenly, he speaks: "Walk, Jack."

Jack does a double take, "What?"

"You heard me." Joe Jr.'s voice is tough, "Get up and walk."

Kick sighs, "Joe it's not that easy! He can't just get up and walk, he has to build up his strength."

"That's impossible because Jack's the strongest person I know!" Joe Jr. yells.

The room goes silent for a moment, and Joe Jr. continues in a softer voice:

"Jack, you have faced so many challenges. On top of the health issues and the favoritism, I'm an ass to you most of the time but you must know that I admire you more than anyone else. Sometimes even more than Dad."

Jack looks at him, astonished, with Kick equally in awe of their elder brother.

"Now get up and walk."

Jack looks at him a bit longer, and Joe Jr. sighs and puts his hands on his hips:

"Go on. Do it!"

Jack continues to stay frozen to the spot:

"Do it!" Joe Jr. yells louder than he did before, "Come on Jack, do it. Don't be a weak link!"

"I'm not a weak link!" Jack yells and then, suddenly, he realizes that he has stood up.

Kick gasps and puts her hand over her mouth:

"Oh my god."

Jack looks down at his two legs supporting him. He's standing.

"Oh my god." Jack says in total astonishment, but Joe Jr. is the most shocked of them all:

"Oh my god."