Chapter Nineteen - Let There Be Light

Hickory Hill, 1956

Jackie looked up at the tall, looming house in front of her. She had always thought it was built for a family, a large one that she could raise with Jack.

She thought of Arabella, and the miscarriage she had had a year before. Two children, two children that should be alive and healthy.

Jack walked up and took a long look at the house, "Are you absolutely sure you want to sell?"

Jackie sighed, "Yes, I am. Bobby and Ethel just had their fifth child, they need a bigger house, we don't."

"Oh, Jackie..." Jack reached for her hand but she jerked it away.

"Jack, please." said Jackie, exasperation in her voice, "I just want to feel free of this. I just need time."

But both Jack and Jackie knew what was unspoken between them: Jackie wanted a divorce. She would never be truly free until they were divorced.

Jackie walked away, leaving Jack alone to think about when he and Jackie first came to Hickory Hills...

December, 1954
Three Months After Jack and Jackie Got Married

The snow was blanketing Hickory Hill and made it look beautiful. Jackie could only imagine what Christmas would be like here.

"What do you think?" asked Jack, the snow was coming down a bit harder now.

"I love it." Jackie replied, smiling, "Just think what it would be like here when we have children, Jack."

"How many kids do you want to have?" Jack teased.

"I'm not sure," said Jackie, "Just when I think I've decided on ten, I convince myself I want eleven."

Jack laughed, "You really want to be pregnant eleven times?"

"Of course." Jackie said, a smile on her face, "Growing up it was just my sister and me, there was no talk of more siblings. I want to have a large family, so that our kids won't be as lonely as Lee and I were."

Jack smiled, "You know, even though I had eight siblings, everybody did their own thing. There were groups of us who were each other's favorites at different times. I don't want it to be like that with our kids."

Jackie took Jack's hand, "And it won't be. I think we'll do better than our parents did."

"I think we will." said Jack, "But we'll never know until we try."

So the young couple walked toward their new home, their hearts filled with love and innocence, ready for a brighter tomorrow.

1956

But that brighter tomorrow had never come, and Jack was beginning to think it never would.

"I want to be a good husband."

Jack sat in the therapists office, sitting directly across from Dr. James, who was scribbling things down on a notepad as Jack spoke.

"I think it's important to me to be a man that Jackie can be proud of."

"Are you implying that she isn't proud of you now?", Dr. James asked, looking straight into Jack's eyes.