Chapter Twenty-Eight: Life in Rosy Hues

May 1961

Teddy put on his suit jacket on and made sure his hair was just right.

"So serious," said Joan, coming up to Teddy and hugging him from behind.

Teddy smiled.

"That's better," said Joan, a broad grin on her face, but it disappeared in a moment.

"Do you really have to do this?" asked Joan, barely whispering now.

Teddy looked down at her, "I do, I'm sorry. I know it isn't what you wanted."

"But it's what I get," said Joan, "Story of my life."

"Honey, you knew what you were getting into when you married a Kennedy. I warned you."

Joan laughed, "Yes, but I never thought it would be this all-consuming."

Teddy, broke away and began to search for his wallet, "What do you mean by 'all-consuming'?"

"Well," said Joan, "One of your brothers is the President, another one of your brothers is the attorney general. It's such a family affair, why can't you just break away?"

"Kennedy men before me have tried and failed," said Teddy, "It's useless."

Joan sighed, "But the senate seat is so big. It was Jack's seat and now look where he is."

Teddy laughed, "Are you implying that Dad has plans for me to be the president?"

"Of course I am!" cried Joan, "He wants as much power as he can get. For the Kennedy name to go down in history and wouldn't it be nice if he could really secure it with you?"

Teddy sighed, "I suppose, but let's not think about it now," he said, approaching Joan, "Right now let's just focus on the present tense, yeah?"

"Yeah," Joan replied. Teddy kissed her, then he kissed the baby bump that was growing bigger every day, and then made his way to the door.

"Kiss Kara for me," he said, walking out the door and closing it behind him.

"I will," said Joan, even though there was no one to say it to anymore.

Jackie looked about the White House as maids packed up her bags. She had a very specific wardrobe planned that would really impress every fashionable French lady.

Jack walked into the room, Caroline on his back and John Jr. in his arms.

"Mummy! Mummy!"

Caroline jumped off Jack and ran towards her mother.

"Caroline, what did I tell you about getting on Daddy's back. You know it isn't very strong."

"Don't scold her," said Jack, "I offered."

Jackie rolled her eyes, "Sometimes I think you have no respect for your health."

Jack laughed, "I have some respect for it."

He walked over to her, "So, what do you have planned, wardrobe-wise?"

Jackie looked at her husband, "Since when are you interested in wardrobe?"

"Since you were."

"Well," said Jackie, "I will spare you the brands and the fashion terms and tell you that they're all very pretty."

Jack shrugged his shoulders, "Good enough for me."

Jackie laughed and he kissed her. When they broke away, he looked at her and smiled.