Chapter Six - And So We Fight: Part One

London, England, U.K. - September 1939

The entire family is sitting in the parlor, some, mostly the younger children, are chatting, all smiles, they don't quite understand war yet, or that their brothers may have to sacrifice their lives should the United States ever be involved.

The older ones are more solemn, Joe Jr. has only spoken to his father for the past few days, and The Golden Trio no longer shares the friendship they had just a week ago.

Jack sits in the corner, alone, when Bobby, now fourteen, comes over to him.

"I'm sorry, Jack."

Jack looks up at him, confused.

"What do you mean?" Jack asks.

"I'm sorry that Joe is so mean to you about you being too sick to go to war."

"Even if it's true?"

Bobby sighs, "It doesn't matter if he's healthier than you, you're a better person than he could ever be. And that's worth being happy about."

Jack smiles, "Bobby, you've grown up."

They laugh, and Joe Jr. looks over, and for one moment he regrets everything he's said in the past week. Because, no matter what he may say, being apart of "The Golden Trio" made his world a little more complete.

Joe Sr. enters the room, Rose at his side, and the children look up at their father, forever their role model. He stands in front of the fireplace and makes sure he's gathered their full attention.

For a moment it seems as if he can't speak, but then he musters up the courage:

"I know all of you have been wondering what the family will be doing now that England is at war with Germany. I know this isn't the outcome that I or Prime Minister Chamberlain wanted, but nevertheless it's happened."

He sighs, "After consulting with some friends, I think it's best that I send the family home while I do my job here."

A few members of the family sighs, "I know, I know. It isn't what any of us wanted, but it's the safest way. I fear that there could be battles on the Atlantic Ocean and I'd prefer it if you had already crossed before then."

There's a long moment of silence as everyone digests this news, but Joe Sr. could never be silent for long.

"I don't want to burden your mother with all of you at once, so the younger ones will go over with her and then the older ones will come a week later."

Teddy gets up and runs to his father and hugs his leg.

"But Daddy what about you?" He asks.

"I'm going to stay here Teddy. I have to, it's my job."

For one moment, Joe Sr. blinks back tears, but thinks better of it. He looks and the little son holding on to his leg and smiles.

"That's all I have to tell you, we'll discuss more at dinner."

The family then began to break away from the parlor, and Joe Sr. moved back towards his study. He hadn't been sitting for more than a minute before there was a knock on the door, he looked up and saw Kick.

"Kick!" He said, surprised as he had expected it to be Jack or Joe Jr..

"Papa, I was wondering if, perhaps, I could stay here in London, with you."

Joe Sr. was shocked, he knew Kick had loved London at peace, but he couldn't imagine her in a London at war.

"Oh?" He said, trying not to show that he had made his decision already.

"It's just, I feel that I could help more here. I could join the Red Cross, or become a nurse. Something important to help with the war."

"I'll remind you Kick that it's not our war to fight."

"But it soon will be Papa! President Roosevelt has condemned Hitler on several occasions and we wouldn't forsake such a key ally as the United Kingdom, it doesn't make any sense. And even if it isn't our war to fight I want to help. London has become a new home for me and I want to stay here even in the toughest of times, I can't just abandon it!"

Joe Sr. laughs, "You act as if London is a person with feelings and a heart."

Kick gave him a sheepish smile in reply, and the room filled with silence. Kick was waiting for an answer, hoping that she had given an impassioned enough speech to convince her father.

Finally, Joe Sr. spoke, "I'm sorry, Kick."

"But Papa—!" Kick began but Joe Sr. quick interrupted her as she had him.

"It isn't safe and I can't have my children harmed. You must know that you and your siblings are my world, therefore I can't throw caution to the wind and let you stay. Believe me, if I could I would let you, it would make me less lonely, but I can't."

Kick nods and leaves the parlor, head hanging. Joe Sr. slumps back in his chair, wondering why in the world do people fight until a bullet hits them in just the wrong place. He thinks of Joe Jr. and Jack, going off to fight. His heart drops when he thinks of the thing that he can't bring himself to speak aloud.

What if my sons don't come back?

To Be Continued...