Chapter Nine - 1 0 9

Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, 1943

Joe Jr. looked out the window of his father's study. He loved the sign of the crashing waves on the beach and of his siblings building up the courage to go near the water, barely putting their feet in, and then chickening out and running away.

"Beautiful sight, isn't it?" Joe Jr. turned around to see his father standing in the doorway, a bottle of scotch in hand.

Joe Jr. smiled, "Beautiful yes, but more relaxing."

Joe Sr. laughed, "Yes, relaxing. Though I think that any sight would be relaxing to a soldier."

Joe Jr. sighed, "I suppose. The waves remind me of Jack. I still can't believe you let him go to war."

It was Joe Sr.'s turn to sigh, "He blackmailed me."

Joe Jr. laughed, but seeing his father's serious expression he stopped, "Seriously?"

"He was having an affair with a woman who was suspected to be a German spy. I offered him money to stay away from her and he said he wanted fake papers to get into the navy instead."

Joe Jr. looked at his father, disgust in his eyes, "So you risked my brother, your son's life because you didn't want a blemish on our family's reputation?"

"It's more complicated than that."

"What could be complicated about endangering your son's life so that he would end an affair? Dad, you have done so much for me my entire life, but I cannot ignore how you blatantly disregard my siblings and their happiness for me."

"Joe, you are the future president of the United States. I needed to make sure your reputation wasn't tarnished."

"But it wasn't my reputation!" Joe Jr. yelled, he was so angry. He didn't like it. He had never been this upset with his father. "It was Jack's. If I have a playboy brother that doesn't change people's opinion of me. This isn't Jack's career."

Suddenly, Joe Jr. felt himself tearing up, "It's mine."

Joe Sr. sighed, "I know, I know. What I did was wrong, I know that. And I'm beginning to regret it now. More than ever. Because I hate disappointing you."

Joe Jr. looked at his father, surprised, "What?"

"You are my most beloved child, and I always want to be your hero. More than anything else."

Joe Jr. smiled, and hugged his father, "Me too, Dad. I only want to make you proud."

Joe Sr. smiled, "You do make me proud, Joe. I love you so much."

Kick watched her mother cook from the table, Rose caught her daughter looking at her and smiled.

"What is it, sweetheart?"

Kick smiled, "Oh, nothing, it's just. You know how I've been writing a column for the Washington Times-Herald with Inga Arvad?"

Rose smiled, "Of course. I'm so proud of you."

Kick sighed, "Well, the column's finished with."