Chapter Thirty-Two: Rising Into Love

June 1961
United Kingdom

Jackie inspected the dresses laid out before her. All stylish, but none seemed to really do the trick.

"As you can see, Mrs. Kennedy, we've arranged for the finest designs to be brought here, so that you can truly rival the queen herself."

The queen herself. Jackie mulled the words over in her head. To try to outdo the queen would be a hard task. She reiterated as much to the designer, who laughed it off.

Jackie was surprised. "Why wouldn't it be difficult
to outdo the Queen of England? The world is obsessed with her."

"Was," the designer corrected her, "The Queen was the world's obsession. When she was coronated. Nine years ago. Now she's a middle-aged woman, standing in the shadow of a young and enchanting First Lady."

Jackie smiled, charmed by the compliment, but still her defenses were up. She wouldn't get a big head, she promised herself.

"I'm not so sure about that," she replied.

"Trust me," said the designer, "Nobody cares about the Queen anymore. Who they care about, is you."

Jackie tried not to let the way the compliment bolstered her show, but it was too late. The designer saw she was flattered.

"Now," he continued, "what about this?"

He pulled out the perfect dress. Strapless, classy, something that would compliment her neck, too.

"It's perfect." She said, a finality and certainty in her voice that she hadn't had since her reporting days. She was in control of her future, even if it was as short term as what she would wear to dinner tomorrow.

The designer nodded and exited, almost bowing as he left. It almost rattled Jackie to see him showing her so much respect, but why should it?

Jack walked in, looking like he could barely walk. Jackie rushed over to him, concerned.

"Jack, what's wrong?" asked Jackie, her face crinkled with worry.

"It's just my back. Dr. Jacobson will be in soon."

Jackie rolled her eyes. A common response to the mention of "Dr" Jacobson. She could go on about how much she mistrusted the man, or how suspicious she felt he was.

"I can feel your judgment," Jack said as he laid down on the bed.

"Well at least I'm not saying anything about it," Jackie retorted with a smirk.

"True. It's an improvement." Jack replied, then omitting a groan. He was in so much pain. He knew Jackie disapproved of Dr. Jacobson's methods, but at least it relieved him of this overwhelming pain.

The door opened and Jackie's maid walked in. "Dr. Jacobson is here, President Kennedy."

"Thank you, send him in."

Dr. Jacobson walked in, armed with his little black bag and smug expression. Jackie greeted him with a slight nod, trying her best to hide her distaste. Luckily, she was an expert.